Healthy pancakes. What could be better to get us through the week?!
It’s the middle of the week, and I think we could all definitely use some pancakes. I mean, even though I am super excited fall is here, I think September gets very busy for most people. Things definitely pick up a bit after the summer as everyone gears up for a new season.
That being said, I like to keep things as healthy and delicious as possible…while also being extremely easy! That’s where these pancakes come into play. Yes, they are pancakes, so they definitely aren’t the quickest breakfast in the world. But, what’s great about them is that they can be made (even on a Sunday if that’s when you have the time) and last in the fridge for at least 3 days.
You can heat these up in the microwave, drizzle a little maple syrup over top, and be good to go the next morning! They are such a life saver when you really are craving a satisfying breakfast, but have just about 5 minutes before you need to be out the door. And, they are so extremely tasty.
So, let me break these pancakes down for you:
whole wheat flour – good texture, plus good nutrition
honey – natural sweeteners are the best for healthy baking
greek yogurt – for a full-body creaminess and protein kick
fresh blackberries – fruit is the perfect healthy addition, plus it keeps the pancakes super moist
dark chocolate – I think all good healthy baking recipes need a little dark chocolate!
[Note: I started incorporating collagen into my foods and morning matcha lattes about 4 months ago and absolutely love the benefits! You can read all about it over at Vital Proteins.]
I mean, these have all of the nutrition you’d want in a breakfast, plus all of the flavor! So much protein from the collagen and Greek yogurt, plus so much sweetness from the honey, blackberries, and dark chocolate.
It really is a great combination. I think you’re going to love it.
Oh, and I forgot to mention I simply store these in a plastic zip-lock bag. I’ll keep them in the fridge, take 2 out at a time in the morning, microwave them for just about 15-20 seconds, and eat the best weekday breakfast ever. Enjoy!
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup Vital Proteins dark chocolate & blackberry collagen peptides
- 1 tbsp + ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz Greek yogurt
- ½ oz pure honey
- 1 cup milk (or nut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz fresh blackberries, quartered
- coconut oil, to cook
- 2 oz dark chocolate, melted
- 4 oz fresh blackberries
- pure maple syrup
- Whisk the whole wheat flour, collagen peptides, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add in the Greek yogurt and honey. Whisk until smooth. Add the milk and vanilla to the egg mixture. Whisk to combine. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, whisking until the flour soaks up the liquid and the mixture is homogenous. Fold in the blackberries.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add a tablespoon of coconut oil at a time to the griddle or skillet and let it melt. Ladle the pancake batter onto the surface, creating your desired size pancakes and evenly spacing them apart. Cook on one side until golden brown and bubbles begin to form on the top. Using a spatula, flip the pancakes over and finish cooking on the other side. Keep the pancakes warm as you finish cooking all of the batter.
- To serve, garnish the pancakes with fresh blackberries. Drizzle the dark chocolate and maple syrup over top.
For a late summer dessert recipe to savor the end of the season, check out my previous recipe: Classic Homemade Blueberry Pie