Things are finally getting cozier around here (my favorite time of year), and I’m so excited to share this Indian-inspired dish with you: butternut squash dal with coconut rice & cilantro mint sauce.
For those who haven’t heard of the Maya Kaimal product line, I am thrilled to be the one to introduce you! Named after Maya herself, this line of fine Indian foods consists of complex sauces, unique dals, and really interesting chips, all packing in traditional Indian flavors.
Ever since going through our Indian cuisine course in culinary school, I have been completely enthralled with Indian flavors. The techniques and ingredients that go into making some of India’s classic recipes are really special. Most of the time, the recipes can be a bit time-consuming, though. That’s where these products come in.
Maya is an award-winning cookbook author who has used her heritage and family influence to create these wonderful foods that we can all easily enjoy in our own homes.
So, today I’m sharing how I’ve used one of the Everyday Dals to make a simple, healthy, and completely satisfying dish that I have been absolutely LOVING.
I started by making some coconut rice flavored with lots of lime to make it bright and zippy. The rice gets topped with creamy yogurt…and then comes the dal. I’m using Maya’s red lentil dal (or masoor dal) flavored with butternut squash and coconut for this, but all of the other flavors are amazing, too.
Dal is essentially the Indian term for a lentil dish that can be cooked many different ways. I love the creamy texture these have, and the butternut squash adds a subtle sweetness which works really well the tangy yogurt. A cilantro mint herb sauce finishes the dish, just for that little something extra to tie in the flavors.
You’re going to love it! Especially after seeing how easy it was to incorporate the dal into this recipe… it is such a game changer for creating exciting, flavorful meals on busy nights!
ALSO! Head over to Instagram to enter the Maya Kaimal giveaway!!! You won’t want to miss it.
- 1 cup jasmine purple rice (or just regular jasmine)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ cup packed mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 pouches Maya Kaimal Everyday Dal (flavor: Red Lentil + Butternut Squash + Coconut)
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ lime, juiced
- cilantro leaves
- shaved radishes
- 1. Combine the rice, water, coconut milk, and coconut oil in a heavy-bottom pot.
- 2. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pot.
- 3. Cook the rice for 15 minutes.
- 4. Turn the heat off. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- 5. Remove the cover and use a fork to “fluff” the rice. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt to taste. Keep warm until serving.
- 1. Meanwhile, combine the cilantro, mint, olive oil, and lime juice in a bowl.
- 2. Stir well and set aside.
- 1. Squeeze the dal out of the pouches into a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 2. Bring the dal to a gentle simmer, stirring often.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and lime juice.
- 4. Once the dal is hot, assemble the bowls by spooning a large mound of coconut rice into the bottom of each bowl. Spoon a little bit of yogurt on top of the rice.
- 5. Top the yogurt with the dal. Add a generous drizzle of the cilantro mint sauce over top.
- 6. Garnish with cilantro leaves and shaved radishes.
[This post is sponsored by Maya Kaimal Fine Indian Foods. I love working with and supporting brands who offer wonderful products that align with my style of cooking and food philosophies. All opinions are my own.]