I’m very, very excited for these chipotle & pomegranate braised chicken tacos that we’re talking about today! They’re simple, healthy, and something that works so incredibly well for weeknight leftovers. Let’s do it.
I love making recipes that YOU want to see, and after seeing a few messages over on Instagram about easy, *flavorful* chicken dishes…I knew it was time. I hope these warming chipotle & pomegranate braised chicken tacos become your new go-to chicken dinner this fall.
One of my favorite canned products has always been chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. The flavor of these is so bold and rich that they add a ton of goodness to any dish. I’ve added them in with the braising liquid for this chicken (which is pomegranate juice & chicken stock) to add a little chipotle flare.
For the recipe, you can use chicken breasts or thighs. Here, I’m using breasts because I made them for Sunday dinner last weekend and my mom likes white meat. Dark meat would add a little bit more richness to this dish. A blend of both would be perfect.
A few finishing touches are all you need…some queso fresco, a few pomegranate seeds for a burst of juicy sweetness, and some thinly sliced jalapenos for a bite of heat.
Plus, these tacos definitely need that squeeze of lime juice at the end. It brings everything out and gives the tacos a tangy citrus finish.
I hope you love these, and make sure to leave a comment if you have any questions or thoughts on this recipe! I love hearing from you here, and also on Instagram. If you share a photo over there, tag me so I can see!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 12 corn tortillas (or more if needed), warmed
- queso fresco, crumbled
- jalapenos, thinly sliced
- pomegranate seeds
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- 1. Toss the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, granulated garlic, chipotle powder, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper. Use your hands to mix well and fully coat the chicken with the spices.
- 2. Heat a large Dutch oven (or heavy-bottom pot) over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. Working in batches, add the chicken and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve.
- 3. Add a little more olive oil to the pot. Toss in the red onions and let sauté until caramelized. Season with a pinch of salt.
- 4. Open the can of chipotle peppers. Remove two of the peppers and roughly chop. Add the peppers (seeds and all) and 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce to the pot. Reserve the remaining chipotles for another use.
- 5. Stir in the pomegranate juice and chicken stock. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the chicken back in, and let braise gently for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- 6. Turn off the heat, remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, add the chicken back to the pot, turn the heat back on to medium-low, and let the shredded cook in the liquid for about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- 1. Mound a generous amount of the braised chicken onto each warmed corn tortilla.
- 2. Garnish with the crumbled queso fresco, a few jalapenos, a pinch of pomegranate seeds, and a few cilantro leaves.
- 3. Squeeze the limes over each taco and enjoy!