easy, warming chipotle & pomegranate braised chicken tacos
1. Toss the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, granulated garlic, chipotle powder, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper. Use your hands to mix well and fully coat the chicken with the spices.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven (or heavy-bottom pot) over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. Working in batches, add the chicken and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve.
3. Add a little more olive oil to the pot. Toss in the red onions and let sauté until caramelized. Season with a pinch of salt.
4. Open the can of chipotle peppers. Remove two of the peppers and roughly chop. Add the peppers (seeds and all) and 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce to the pot. Reserve the remaining chipotles for another use.
5. Stir in the pomegranate juice and chicken stock. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the chicken back in, and let braise gently for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through.
6. Turn off the heat, remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, add the chicken back to the pot, turn the heat back on to medium-low, and let the shredded cook in the liquid for about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
1. Mound a generous amount of the braised chicken onto each warmed corn tortilla.
2. Garnish with the crumbled queso fresco, a few jalapenos, a pinch of pomegranate seeds, and a few cilantro leaves.
3. Squeeze the limes over each taco and enjoy!