Chocolate is great, espresso is wonderful…but when combined in a brownie? YES PLEASE. The recipe for these mocha brownies with espresso glaze is super straightforward, and one you definitely should be making this holiday season.
We don’t brew coffee or espresso too often after dinner around here, but for Christmas, it’s an absolute tradition right before all the desserts are put out. Every year, there’s bound to be an abundance of chocolate treats. So it’s only been natural to enjoy a chocolate cookie or brownie dipped right into a cup of coffee (or if we’re lucky, an espresso or latte).
I’ve come to love the rich, intoxicating combination of chocolate and espresso. It was definitely time to put the two together in a ridiculously good brownie!
I wanted these to turn out just like my double chocolate brownies – dense, fudgy, sweet, and addicting. These are exactly that, but with a subtle espresso flavor to turn these into mocha brownies.
And since it’s Christmas and I’m pretty sure it’s always good to make things a little bit sweeter, these mocha brownies are topped with an espresso glaze…made with freshly brewed espresso and powdered sugar. (If you can’t brew espresso at home, you can order plain espresso shots at any coffee shop and use them for these brownies! You’ll need almost 4 fluid ounces total.)
These are so lovely and honestly everyone in my family devoured them. Even my older brother, who initially proclaimed, “I’m really not a big brownie person” (we’ll have to address that with him later…), loved them. He actually probably ate the most of them.
I can’t wait to serve these after our Christmas dinner this year, and I hope you get to enjoy them, too!
PS…we are just about a week away from Christmas, so stay tuned for a full week loaded with tons of holiday inspiration! SO excited!! Also, thank you to everyone who participated in the week of Christmas Giveaways last week. We had so much fun putting it together, and I’m really glad how excited you guys were about all the gifts!Print
Mocha Brownies with Espresso Glaze
decadent mocha brownies with a sweet espresso glaze
yield: 12 brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- ¼ cup brewed espresso (or 2 fluid ounces)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp brewed espresso (1 ½ – 2 fluid ounces)
- raw sugar, as needed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Prepare a greased 9×13” baking dish. Press a piece of parchment paper (large enough so it overhangs the dish) into the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Aggressively whisk in the sugar until incorporated. Next, add the melted butter, espresso, and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until set and cooked through. Let cool for 30 minutes. Gently use the parchment paper to lift the brownies out of the dish. Cut the brownies into 12 squares.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and espresso until smooth and pourable. Start with 3 tablespoons of espresso. If it’s too thick, add more.
- Spoon the glaze onto the brownies. If desired, sprinkle raw sugar on top of the brownies for a festive touch. Let set.
For an extra level of decadence, I like to buy extra chocolate and melt it, then drizzle it over top the brownies right before serving.