Brown Butter Caramelized Banana Bread
the most delicious, moist brown butter caramelized banana bread
yield: 1 large loaf of banana bread
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick butter, cut into 8 pieces
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 12 oz mashed brown bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- softened salted butter, for slathering
- more honey, to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and place a piece of parchment paper inside so that it sticks to the sides and hangs over the pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add the butter to a saucepan and melt it over medium-low heat. Allow it to continue to cook until browned and nutty smelling (be careful not to take it too far). Allow the butter to cool slightly.
- Add the sugar to a large mixing bowl. Pour the brown butter in, straining out any dark bits. Whisk vigorously until really well combined. Whisk in the honey, mashed bananas, eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and almond extract until incorporated.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt. Add the sliced bananas, spreading them out into an even layer. Let caramelize on one side until golden. Season with a pinch of salt. Flip the bananas over and cook for another minute. Stir in the honey. Let bubble for a minute or so. Turn off the heat.
- Spoon half of the caramelized banana mixture over the batter. Reserve the rest for serving.
- Bake the banana bread uncovered for 55 minutes. Let cool slightly. Use the parchment paper to pull the bread out of the pan. Slice it into thick slices and serve warm with softened salted butter, a drizzle or so of honey, and the reserved caramelized bananas.
Use the darkest, softest bananas you can get your hands on for the best tasting banana bread!