We’re talking simple shrimp rolls today – creamy, luxurious shrimp salad bundled up in a buttery, toasted brioche bun…doesn’t get much better than that.
Since this is a take on the classic lobster roll, I want to make one important point: the best lobster rolls out there are the simplest. This is one dish that should be left alone, with nothing added that overwhelms the main attraction.
I’ve changed it up a bit with grilled shrimp instead of lobster meat, but the principle is the same – simplicity is best. You want subtle flavors that compliment the seafood and bring out all of its fresh, delicate taste.
Celery, lemon, chives, a little tarragon, and just a touch of hot sauce. Tossed with the shrimp and mayo, and then piled onto buttery toasted brioche buns…it is summer perfection.
I hope you love these! Let me know what you think. I’d definitely serve this plum galette afterwards before the summer stone fruit is gone!!
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1.5 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- oil, salt and black pepper
- kosher salt, as needed
- freshly cracked black pepper, as needed
- 4 brioche rolls, split
- paprika, to garnish
- extra chives, to garnish
- lemon wedges
- 1. Whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, and granulated garlic in a mixing bowl. Stir in the celery and chives. Chill the mixture while you grill the shrimp.
- 2. Heat the grill to high. Pat the shrimp dry. In a small mixing bowl, toss the shrimp with oil, salt and pepper to coat.
- 3. Grill the shrimp for a couple of minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the grill and let cool slightly on a cutting board.
- 4. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop the shrimp. Toss the shrimp with the mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- 5. Lightly toast the brioche buns on the grill. Spoon the shrimp salad into the toasted buns.
- 6. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika, extra chopped chives, and a squeeze of lemon juice.