a tender, moist blackberry zucchini coffee cake with a sweet honey glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy using a paddle attachment.
2. Add the egg and mix until combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl if needed. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture, mixing on low speed. Again, scrape the bowl if needed.
3. Wrap the zucchini in paper towels and ring out most of the water by squeezing it over a sink. You should be left with somewhat dry grated zucchini.
4. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the zucchini and most of the blackberries (reserve about a 1/4 cup) by hand using a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into a greased, 9×2” cake pan.
5. In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt for the streusel. Stir in the melted butter until incorporated. Add the flour and toss with a fork until combined. You should be left with large clumps of a somewhat “wet” streusel.
6. Top the cake with half the streusel. Scatter the remaining blackberries over top. Add the rest of the streusel. Bake for 35 minutes. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 8 minutes longer, or until just cooked through.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Run a butter knife along the edges to loosen the cake. Place a cutting board on top of the cake pan. Flip the cake out onto the cutting board, and then flip again onto another cutting board or plate so that it is upright.
8. Immediately drizzle the honey glaze over top while it’s still warm (recipe below). Cut the cake into slices and serve warm, at room temperature, or even chilled.
1. Combine the powdered sugar, water, and honey in a small mixing bowl.
2. Whisk until smooth and silky.