Sharing a quick & flavorful side dish today – spicy sesame cauliflower with toasted garlic. Cauliflower roasted with sesame seeds & pecans, then tossed in a sweet, spicy, sticky sauce flavored with chiles and ginger, and topped with a sprinkling of toasted garlic. This is one of those recipes you can make over and over again to spice up your weeknight cooking.
spicy sesame cauliflower – the details
This spicy sesame cauliflower could not be easier to make. You’ll start by roasting the cauliflower with sesame seeds & a drizzle of sesame oil. When they have about 10 minutes left in the oven, throw in some pecans so they can become nice and fragrant.
While the cauliflower roasts, you’ll toast some very thin shaves of garlic in a saucepan until golden brown. The garlic gets removed and saved for a garnish, while all of the other sauce ingredients go into the pan – red chiles, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin, and sweet chili sauce. You’ll simmer this mixture until it’s reduced down to a sticky glaze.
The cauliflower comes out of the oven and then gets tossed with the sweet and spicy sauce. Easy as that!! Top it all off with that toasted garlic and serve it alongside your favorite asian-inspired meal.
Or, you could simply roast up some chicken and make some rice to serve with the cauliflower…and spoon all of that delicious sauce over top. I ended up doing this with my leftovers and it turned out to be the perfect weeknight dinner!
If you’re looking for more flavorful vegetable side dishes, here are a few favorites:Print
Spicy Sesame Cauliflower with Toasted Garlic
roasted sesame cauliflower with toasted garlic and pecans, tossed in a sweet & spicy asian-inspired sauce
- 1 (2 lb) head cauliflower, trimmed into florets
- neutral oil (I like using safflower)
- kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 red fresno chile, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the cauliflower florets onto a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil, season with salt, and toss well to coat. Spread into a single layer. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and drizzle the sesame oil over top. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a 2 qt saucepan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add the slices of garlic. Toast until golden and crispy, stirring continuously so they don’t burn. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garlic to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add the red chile and ginger to the saucepan. Cook for a minute or so until softened. Add the soy, hoisin, and sweet chili sauces. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 6-8 more minutes, or until the sauce is reduced to a glaze.
- Add the pecans to the cauliflower pan and continue to roast for 10 more minutes, or until the cauliflower is browned and tender, and the pecans are fragrant.
- Combine the roasted cauliflower, sesame seeds, and pecans with the sauce and toss to coat. Serve on a platter and garnish with the toasted garlic.
You can turn this into a complete meal by roasting up some chicken & making some rice. Serve it all together with the sauce drizzled over top.
shop the dish: spicy sesame cauliflower with toasted garlic