mussels & charred corn in a rich, sweet coconut tomato sauce
1. Heat the grill over high heat.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a heaping amount of salt. Blanch the corn for 4 minutes. Transfer the corn to a bowl of ice water to cool. After a couple of minutes, remove the corn to paper towels to dry.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the shallots. Lower the heat and sauté for about 6 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
4. Add the cherry tomatoes. Let cook until “burst” and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Stir in the tomato paste and let cook for about 1 minute.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce the heat again, and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes on low.
6. Meanwhile, toss the cooled ears of corn and the green onions with a small amount of oil and season with salt. Grill the corn and green onions until tender and slightly charred.
7. Once grilled, cut the ears of corn in half. Trim the ends off the green onions and roughly chop them.
8. Once the coconut tomato sauce has reduced, stir in the mussels. Cover the pot and let the mussels cook for a few minutes. When the mussels open, they’re ready.
9. Stir in the lime juice and charred green onions. Place the grilled corn in a serving bowl or skillet. Pour the mussels and sauce over top. Serve with grilled bread.