perfectly seared scallops with a buttery cherry sauce and wilted greens
1. In a large sauté pan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add the cherries and let cook for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
2. Stir in the brown sugar and soy sauce. Let the sugar melt and the mixture come to a bubble.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the sauce gently simmer until syrupy, about 8 more minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Season with salt to taste.
1. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels. Season each side with a good pinch of salt.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add enough oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, place the scallops in the pan (work in batches if needed; don’t overcrowd the pan). You should hear a sizzle.
3. Sear the scallops for just 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the scallops to a plate and keep warm.
4. Add a little bit more oil to the pan and add the chard. Let the chard cook until wilted and tender. Season with salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
5. Plate the scallops and greens, spooning the cherries and sauce over top. Garnish with watercress and flaky sea salt.