simple grilled flank steak with a versatile radish chimichurri
1. Combine the shallot, garlic, and jalapeno in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped.
2. Add the parsley and mint. Process until minced.
3. Transfer the herb mixture to a bowl and stir in the extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and shaved radishes.
4. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
1. Let the flank steak sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes to relax.
2. Meanwhile, heat one side of the grill over high heat (I use my “tru sear” section of the grill for this, right over the flames) and one side over medium-low heat.
3. Sprinkle each side of the flank steak with a generous amount of kosher salt. Use your hands to “pack” it in so that it sticks to the meat.
4. Do the same with the freshly cracked black pepper.
5. Once seasoned, rub a light amount of oil onto each side, just enough to coat.
6. Place the flank steak onto the hottest part of the grill, ideally right over the flames. Let the meat sear until it forms a dark crust. Flip the meat and sear on the other side.
7. Transfer the meat to the medium-low section of the grill, cover the grill, and let the meat finish cooking until your desired doneness (just a few more minutes for medium-rare).
8. Transfer the flank steak from the grill to a plate and cover with foil. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes.
9. Thinly slice the meat against the grain, on a bias. Serve with the radish chimichurri.