If you need a quick, simple, incredibly delicious dessert for the springtime, this brown sugar strawberry crisp is it! Sweet, juicy strawberries tossed with jam and brown sugar, topped with a buttery oat streusel, baked until golden and bubbling, and served with ice cream melted over top. The BEST.
This recipe is made in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill.
While I love a good long baking project, sometimes you just need a quick sweet fix. Crisps with seasonal fruit are my go-to in the spring and summer months, and this brown sugar strawberry crisp is the version I am loving right now.
And I think you will, too. There’s truly nothing not to love. It’s one of those desserts you can throw together right after you eat dinner. You’ll make the strawberry mixture, then the streusel mixture, layer it into a skillet, bake for 30 minutes and it’s done. Easy as that.
brown sugar strawberry crisp – the details
While this works really well with just about any fruit, strawberries are in season so I’m using them up in every way I can. You’ll combine fresh strawberries AND strawberry jam for extra juicy flavor. When baked, the jam melts down and adds a rich texture to the crisp. A little brown sugar sweetens things up, with vanilla adding more flavor, and cornstarch adding a little more thickness to the mixture.
Then there’s the streusel. My secret ingredient for extra texture? Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. These oats give the crisp a heartiness that I love and they make the streusel extra delicious. They get tossed with flour, more brown sugar, salt, and butter.
Once baked, the strawberries reduce until bubbling. The finished consistency is syrupy enough to drizzle over ice cream but thick enough to start to hold it’s shape when cooled. The streusel becomes golden and buttery.
Top with ice cream and you’re all set. Trust me, this dessert is dreamy!Print
Brown Sugar Strawberry Crisp
a simple brown sugar strawberry crisp with oats and jam, best served with a big scoop of ice cream
- 1 lb strawberries, stemmed
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- kosher salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 6 tbsp butter, cubed
- ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8” skillet with butter.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters or eights, depending on how large they are, until they are all roughly the same size. Place the strawberries into a bowl and add the strawberry jam, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, oats, remaining ¼ cup of brown sugar, and a ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add the cubed butter and use your fingers (or a pastry cutter) to “rub” the butter into the flour. Keep working it in until the flour has been absorbed and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into the greased skillet and spread into an even layer. Distribute the streusel mixture over top. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with ice cream and dig in.