This simple side dish of roasted broccolini with calabrian chile vinaigrette & parmesan cheese will be the perfect vegetable addition to any meal! The broccolini is tender and slightly crisp around the edges with plenty of bold, tangy flavor from the spicy vinaigrette. It’s a quick recipe that comes together effortlessly.
roasted broccolini – the inspiration
The other week, I made this (absolutely delicious) creamy basil & calabrian chile cavatelli, and I had a pretty full jar of calabrian chiles leftover. These peppers are very spicy, so you’ll typically only need a tablespoon or two for a given recipe.
So to have another use for them is necessary! And this calabrian chile vinaigrette is the answer. The chiles, plus a little honey, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil get whisked up into a very tasty dressing and can be used in so many different ways! You could make a big batch of it, use it for this broccolini side dish, and then save it for other roasted vegetables or salads throughout the week.
As for the broccolini, it really could not be simpler to make. You’ll want to trim the tough ends off the broccolini (about ½ an inch off the stalks) and peel off any dark green leaves. With a quick coating of olive oil and a pinch of salt, they’re ready to roast.
After just 15-20 minutes, the result is perfectly tender broccolini with slightly crisp edges. Serve it straight out of the oven with spoonfuls of the vinaigrette over top.
And for the final touch…freshly grated parmesan cheese! You’ll want to use the good stuff for this – pick up a small wedge of real parmesan and use a microplane grater to grate it over the dish. The parm will melt right into the warm broccolini and give a tasty punch of salty, nutty flavor.Print
Roasted Broccolini with Calabrian Chile Vinaigrette
a simple side dish of roasted broccolini with calabrian chile vinaigrette & parmesan
- ¾ lb broccolini, ends trimmed
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 tbsp calabrian chile peppers (crushed in oil)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the broccolini and shallots onto a sheet pan. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Toss to coat. Spread the broccolini and shallots into an even layer. Season with a pinch of salt. Roast for 12-15 minutes, or until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the calabrian chile peppers, honey garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly pour in the ¼ cup of olive oil, whisking continuously until emulsified. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve the broccolini with spoonfuls of the vinaigrette and a fresh grating of parmesan over top.