A new essential spring side dish: crispy potatoes with jammy eggs & bacon. It’s simple yet impressive, includes lots of herbs and lemon, and makes for such a good dish to entertain with.
I love the classic potato, egg, and bacon combination. This dish combines all three in a fresh, “springy” way…and I could not love it more. Perfect as a side dish to just about any spring meal I could think of, from breakfast to dinner.
It’s simple, approachable, and makes for such a beautiful platter of food.
Here’s the rundown…
The potatoes get cooked on the same pan as the bacon. Once the bacon crisps up, you’ll remove it from the pan, raise the oven temperature, and cook the potatoes for just a few minutes longer so they get nice and crispy on the edges. You’ll want to make sure the potatoes are all cut evenly and seasoned really well.
The eggs are boiled for just 6 minutes to create the perfect, jammy center. There’s also a quick, lemony celery topping involved that brightens everything up. It all comes together on one platter with creamy blue cheese, lots of fresh herbs, and a generous drizzle of olive oil.Print
Crispy Potatoes with Jammy Eggs & Bacon
crispy potatoes with jammy eggs, bacon, blue cheese, shaved celery slaw, and herbs
- 4 oz bacon
- 2 lbs red potatoes, quartered
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 stalks celery, shaved thin
- 1 shallot, shaved thin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp dill leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped chives, plus more to garnish
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 handfuls watercress
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay the bacon in an even layer on one side of a full sheet pan, leaving enough room for the potatoes on the other. Toss the potatoes with olive oil to coat them well. Lay the potatoes out onto the sheet pan. Season with a generous pinch of salt. Bake for 40 minutes until the bacon is crisp.
- Meanwhile, combine the shaved celery, shallot, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, and chives in a mixing bowl. Mix well and season with a pinch of salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Gently place the eggs in the boiling water. Cook for 6 minutes, adjusting the temperature as needed to keep the water at a gentle boil. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water. Allow to fully cool. Drain the eggs, crack them, and peel off the shells.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside. Raise the oven heat to 475° Spread the potatoes out so they now cover the full sheet pan. Once the oven is up to temperature, bake them for another 5 minutes. Turn on the broil setting to high and finish cooking for a minute or so, just until golden and crispy. Drizzle the honey over the potatoes right when they come out of the oven. Toss well.
- To serve, lay the watercress onto a platter and drizzle with olive oil. Mound the potatoes over top. Slice the jammy eggs in half and arrange them around the potatoes. Roughly chop the bacon and sprinkle it over top. Spoon the celery mixture, across the potatoes.
- Garnish with the blue cheese, chives, a good drizzle of olive oil, flaky sea salt, and lots of freshly cracked black pepper.