I’m very, very excited for these chipotle & pomegranate braised chicken tacos that we’re talking about today! They’re simple, healthy, and something that works so incredibly well for weeknight leftovers. Let’s do it.
I love making recipes that YOU want to see, and after seeing a few messages over on Instagram about easy, *flavorful* chicken dishes…I knew it was time. I hope these warming chipotle & pomegranate braised chicken tacos become your new go-to chicken dinner this fall.
One of my favorite canned products has always been chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. The flavor of these is so bold and rich that they add a ton of goodness to any dish. I’ve added them in with the braising liquid for this chicken (which is pomegranate juice & chicken stock) to add a little chipotle flare.
For the recipe, you can use chicken breasts or thighs. Here, I’m using breasts because I made them for Sunday dinner last weekend and my mom likes white meat. Dark meat would add a little bit more richness to this dish. A blend of both would be perfect.
A few finishing touches are all you need…some queso fresco, a few pomegranate seeds for a burst of juicy sweetness, and some thinly sliced jalapenos for a bite of heat.
Plus, these tacos definitely need that squeeze of lime juice at the end. It brings everything out and gives the tacos a tangy citrus finish.
I hope you love these, and make sure to leave a comment if you have any questions or thoughts on this recipe! I love hearing from you here, and also on Instagram. If you share a photo over there, tag me so I can see!Print
Chipotle & Pomegranate Braised Chicken Tacos
easy, warming chipotle & pomegranate braised chicken tacos
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 12 corn tortillas (or more if needed), warmed
- queso fresco, crumbled
- jalapenos, thinly sliced
- pomegranate seeds
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
1. Toss the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, granulated garlic, chipotle powder, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper. Use your hands to mix well and fully coat the chicken with the spices.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven (or heavy-bottom pot) over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. Working in batches, add the chicken and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve.
3. Add a little more olive oil to the pot. Toss in the red onions and let sauté until caramelized. Season with a pinch of salt.
4. Open the can of chipotle peppers. Remove two of the peppers and roughly chop. Add the peppers (seeds and all) and 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce to the pot. Reserve the remaining chipotles for another use.
5. Stir in the pomegranate juice and chicken stock. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the chicken back in, and let braise gently for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through.
6. Turn off the heat, remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, add the chicken back to the pot, turn the heat back on to medium-low, and let the shredded cook in the liquid for about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
1. Mound a generous amount of the braised chicken onto each warmed corn tortilla.
2. Garnish with the crumbled queso fresco, a few jalapenos, a pinch of pomegranate seeds, and a few cilantro leaves.
3. Squeeze the limes over each taco and enjoy!