While the temperature outside is still warm, enjoy this simply grilled skirt steak dinner to close out the summer! Garlic-marinated skirt steak grilled until charred & juicy. Served with a “throw together” orzo salad full of crunchy and vibrant mediterranean-inspired ingredients. And the finishing touch is a tangy, smoky red pepper sauce to spoon over top.
Skirt Steak with Orzo Salad & Red Pepper Sauce
garlic marinated skirt steak grilled until charred & juicy, served with a simple mediterranean-inspired orzo salad and a tangy, smoky red pepper sauce
- 1 ¾ lbs skirt steak
- 8 large garlic cloves
- ¼ cup + 4 tbsp olive oil, plus more as needed
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 red bell peppers, halved
- 1 red fresno pepper
- 1 red onion, peeled + quartered
- ½ lb orzo
- ½ lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (½ lb) cucumber, diced
- ½ cup halved castelvetrano olives
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup oregano leaves
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the skirt steak in a bowl. Grate 6 of the garlic cloves into the bowl. Add the ¼ cup of olive oil, a good pinch of salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Toss to coat. Cover the bowl and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour. Bring the bowl to room temperature and let sit for 30 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the halved red peppers, fresno pepper, and quartered red onion on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil to coat. Roast (with the peppers faced cut-side down) for 40 minutes, or until slightly charred and tender. Allow the peppers to cool slightly. Then, peel off the skins and discard the cores. Cut the root off the red onion.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the orzo according to the package’s instructions. Drain the orzo into a colander, rinse under cold water to fully cool, let drain, and pat dry (as dry as possible).
- Add the orzo, cucumbers, olives, chives, chopped oregano, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the peppers and red onion to a food processor. Process until smooth. Grate in the remaining 2 cloves of garlic. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, and oregano leaves. Process again until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- When the skirt steak is almost done marinating, heat the grill over high heat. Lightly oil the grates. Grill the steak for about 3 minutes, or until a nice crust forms. Flip and continue to cook to your desired doneness, about 3-4 more minutes for medium.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Sprinkle it with flaky sea salt and serve with the red pepper sauce drizzled over top. Stir the feta into the orzo salad and serve it alongside the steak.