Sharing these extra decadent, extremely silky manchego & brown butter whipped potatoes to kick off this year’s Thanksgiving recipes here on the blog! Because every Thanksgiving table needs a knock-out bowl of potatoes to go along with the turkey, and that is exactly what these are…full of rich brown butter, herbs, and really flavorful manchego cheese.
Let the Thanksgiving menu planning begin! Can you believe it’s already the beginning of November?! This year, especially these last couple of months, has seemed to go by incredibly fast. I am honestly in disbelief that it’s already time to start planning for the upcoming holidays.
It’s my absolute favorite time of year, though, so I’m very much excited and ready to go! I spent the other day brainstorming lots of delicious Thanksgiving recipes, and I simply cannot wait to share them with you all. I’ve mapped out a very extensive, ambitious list of new dishes I want to get up on the blog before the big day, so let’s hope it all comes together in time!
First up: these manchego & brown butter whipped potatoes.
They’re basically the more decadent, slightly more sophisticated version of your regular mashed potatoes. But they’re just as easy and full of rich, decadent flavors – hearty herbs, nutty brown butter, salty manchego cheese, and a good hint of black pepper.
The potatoes are boiled until just tender while milk is simmered with lots of herbs (rosemary, sage, and oregano) and butter is browned with more sage until golden and intoxicating. The potatoes get “whipped” in a food processor with the herb-scented milk and browned butter. Then, the manchego cheese is folded in. I like to reserve a little bit of the butter to spoon over top, along with the fried sage and lots of black pepper.
Nothing not to love about these brown butter whipped potatoes, and I’m telling you… they are absolutely unbelievable. I’ve never had potatoes with so much good flavor. When I served these at our last Sunday dinner, my family and I seriously could not stop eating them.
SO happy with how they turned out, and I cannot wait for them to show up on your holiday tables this year! Enjoy!!Print
Manchego & Brown Butter Whipped Potatoes
silky smooth + flavorful manchego & brown butter whipped potatoes
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 4 sprigs sage
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 ½ sticks (or 6 oz) unsalted butter
- 4 oz manchego cheese, shredded
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add a heaping palmful of salt. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, allow the potatoes to cook for about 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk, 2 sprigs of sage, rosemary, and oregano in a small saucepan over low heat. Allow to heat until the potatoes are done.
- In another saucepan, add the butter and remaining 2 sprigs of sage over medium heat. Allow the butter to melt. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook the butter until browned, stirring often (it should be a rich amber color, not too dark).
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain them in a colander. When the potatoes are hot, gently peel off the skins (they should come right off; just use a towel to protect your hands from the heat). Pass the potatoes through a food mill or ricer fitted with the finest disk into a large bowl.
- Strain the milk and discard the herbs. Slowly add the warm milk and brown butter to the potatoes and whisk well until silky smooth (reserve a little bit of butter for garnish, along with the crispy sage). Fold in the manchego cheese until melted. Season the potatoes with salt to taste.
- Serve the potatoes with a drizzle of brown butter, the crispy sage, and lots of freshly cracked black pepper over top.