An ultra-simple, extra-decadent flourless chocolate cake with softly whipped vanilla cream. Intense, rich chocolate flavor and a silky-smooth dense texture. This cake is so incredibly delicious and any chocolate lover’s dream.
We always have a very rich chocolate dessert on our Christmas menu. My mom and I LOVE any and all things chocolate, so the holidays simply cannot go by without something extra special and extra chocolatey.
One of my favorite desserts has always been a flourless chocolate cake. I love its simplicity and pure chocolate taste. I finally got my recipe down, and it’s definitely one not to be missed. I’m making it for Christmas this year to add something fudgy and indulgent to the table.
The process to make this flourless chocolate cake couldn’t be easier. There are few ingredients and they essentially all get whisked together in one bowl by hand. The cake bakes for about 25 minutes and in the meantime, you can quickly whip up the vanilla cream (this can also be done ahead of time).
The cake is amazing warm right out of the oven, but just as good room temperature or chilled.Print
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Cream
a simple, rich flourless chocolate cake with softly whipped vanilla cream
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- ½ lb dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 6 oz unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8” cake pan with softened butter and set aside.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a large, heat-proof bowl. Fill a small saucepan with a half inch of water and place over medium heat. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan. Gently melt the chocolate and butter together, whisking often.
- Transfer the bowl to the countertop. Add in the sugar and eggs, whisking until smooth. Sift the cocoa powder into the bowl and mix well to combine. Lastly, add the vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and spread evenly. Place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Cover the cake with foil and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Invert the cake out of the pan. Let cool further and serve at room temperature. Sift a bit more cocoa powder over the cake for a light dusting. Dollop with the vanilla cream (recipe below).
- Pour the heavy cream into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the cream until frothy.
- Add the sugar. Continue to whip until soft peaks form, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.