Sauteed beans & broccolini with crispy shallots, red pepper, parmesan, pistachios, and a lemony parsley sauce. Because every holiday table needs an awesome vegetable dish alongside all the meat, pastas, breads, and sweets. This broccolini recipe adds such a beautiful, vibrant addition to the Christmas meal.
Vegetable dishes sometimes take the back burner during the holidays. We’re always so excited to prepare the more decadent dishes that we usually just throw together a fairly plain side of sauteed or roasted vegetables.
This year, I’m adding just a bit more flavor and excitement to our vegetable side dish. Enter these beans & broccolini with crispy shallots. Shallots cooked slowly until crisp, broccolini simply sauteed in olive oil, red chard wilted down with red pepper flakes, beans tossed in, and served with a lemony parsley sauce, pistachios, and parmesan on top.
I hope you enjoy!!Print
Beans & Broccolini with Crispy Shallots
a simple, very flavorful side dish of beans & broccolini with wilted red chard, crispy shallots, pistachios, parmesan, and a lemony parsley sauce
- ¼ cup toasted pistachios, chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
Beans & Broccolini
- olive oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 12 oz broccolini or baby broccoli (about 2 bunches)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch red chard, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- small chunk parmesan cheese
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine the toasted pistachios, parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Season with salt to taste and set aside.
Beans & Broccolini
- Heat a 12” skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the sliced shallots and break them apart. Spread them into an even layer and lower the heat to medium-low. Allow to cook until golden and crisp, stirring occasionally (be careful not to burn; lower the heat if needed). Season with a pinch of salt. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the crispy shallots to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends off the broccolini and pull off the larger leaves. Split any thicker broccolini in half or quarters lengthwise so that all the pieces are a similar thin size.
- Once the shallots are out of the skillet, raise the heat to medium and add a little bit more olive oil. Add half of the broccolini. Season with a good pinch salt. Sauté until tender and slightly caramelized. Transfer the broccolini to a plate and repeat with the remaining.
- Once all of the broccolini is out of the skillet, add a little bit more olive oil, along with the red pepper flakes. Cook for 15 seconds and then add the red chard. Stir until wilted. Add the beans and let heat through. Add the broccolini back into the skillet. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Plate the beans & broccolini with the parsley sauce spooned over top. Freshly grate lots of parmesan cheese and finish with more freshly cracked black pepper.
2 thoughts on “Beans & Broccolini with Crispy Shallots”
I made this tonight! Nice hearty flavors, do not skip the crispy shallots and pistachio garnish!!! I used celery leaves bc I had no parsley- was SO DELICIOUS! Thank you!
Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for such great feedback on this recipe! I agree, the crispy shallots and pistachios are KEY.