Making spicy shrimp tacos today to bring a little freshness to our week! These tacos are beyond simple, but packed with so much bright, bold, vibrant flavor. Spiced and sauteed shrimp, a fresh avocado relish with chiles and cilantro, and a zesty lime yogurt sauce. They’re healthy and come together really quickly. The best way to brighten up this dreary February.
spicy shrimp tacos, the details…
When I say these tacos are easy, they really are. The recipe is a perfect combo of flavorful ingredients + simple technique. All we’re doing here is combining the shrimp with a slightly spicy, smoky blend of spices – coriander, chipotle powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt – plus some lime juice and letting them marinate for just a few minutes before cooking.
While the shrimp sits, you’ll combine avocados, very thinly shaved radishes, chiles, cilantro, a splash of vinegar and a little more lime juice. The perfect tangy topping for the shrimp tacos that also packs in a little bit more heat with the chile peppers.
All of the heat needs to be balanced with a really refreshing sauce. A combo of yogurt, lime, and honey does just the trick. Pile everything onto charred tortillas and you’re good to go.
To easily char the tortillas: turn a stovetop burner on to medium heat and place each tortilla right onto the flame for just a few seconds until slightly charred and soft, flipping once. You can also just warm the tortillas in a skillet or microwave if you’d like.
I’m really excited for you to try these spicy shrimp tacos! Make them any day of the week or invite some friends over for a taco night! Make a big batch of guacamole and maybe even elevate the meal with this festive mexican vegetable salad.Print
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Lime Yogurt Sauce
fresh + spicy shrimp tacos in corn tortillas with avocado, radish, cilantro, and a zesty lime yogurt sauce
yield: 8 tacos
Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- 1 lb peeled + deveined shrimp
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 limes
- 2 avocados, peeled + diced
- 4 small radishes, thinly shaved
- 2 chile peppers, thinly sliced (red fresno or serrano)
- ⅓ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 corn or flour tortillas, charred over an open flame
Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 8 oz greek yogurt
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Combine the shrimp, coriander, chipotle powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne in a bowl. Squeeze in the juice of one of the limes. Mix well and let sit to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the diced avocados, radishes, chiles, cilantro leaves, and red wine vinegar in another bowl. Squeeze in the juice from the other lime. Mix well and season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to the bottom. Once hot, add the shrimp and quickly saute until pink and fully cooked through.
- Assemble the tacos by placing a couple of shrimp into each tortilla. Top with the avocado mixture and a drizzle of lime yogurt sauce (recipe below).
Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Combine the greek yogurt, lime zest, lime juice, honey, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until smooth. Reserve until ready to serve.