A fun weeknight dinner to keep things exciting: carnitas burrito bowl. A base of rice with homemade pork carnitas & black beans mounded over top, plus plenty of fresh toppings like a simple guacamole, cilantro-packed charred pepper salsa, cheese, radishes, and crisp lettuce. Just like ordering a burrito bowl out, you can customize this bowl however you’d like!
carnitas burrito bowl – the details
A couple months ago, I made these carnitas tostadas and absolutely loved making carnitas at home. You’ll take a boston butt (a rich, flavorful portion of the pork shoulder) and cook it slowly in a spiced broth. Once the meat is fork tender, you’ll pull it apart and then crisp it in a hot skillet.
The process is really simple and got me thinking of all the ways you could use carnitas. Obviously tacos would be great or even in a quesadilla. My favorite way so far, though, is by making a burrito-style bowl and loading it up with the carnitas and lots of fresh toppings for a fun weeknight dinner!
This carnitas burrito bowl is SO versatile. With rice as the base, you can add whatever toppings sound good to you. Maybe saute some onions and peppers, or even add in seasonal vegetables to round things out.
I kept things healthy-ish and simple with black beans, crisp romaine lettuce, a quick guacamole, sour cream, lots of cheese, cilantro, and radishes. For extra flavor, I made my charred pepper salsa to toss with the carnitas and also add on top. It’s smoky, slightly spicy, and full of fresh cilantro.
This bowl is satisfying, really fresh and flavorful, and the perfect thing to meal prep for the week!
If you’re looking for more dinner ideas, here are a few favorites:Print
Carnitas Burrito Bowl with Red Pepper Salsa
a loaded burrito bowl with rice, homemade carnitas, roasted red pepper salsa, black beans, romaine lettuce, a quick guacamole, and sour cream
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 limes
- 1 batch homemade carnitas
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 batch charred pepper salsa
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 head romaine, cored + thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded chihuahua (or other Mexican-style) cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 radishes, thinly shaved on a mandolin (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Once finished, add the juice of 2 limes and season with salt to taste. Keep warm.
- Add the carnitas back to the skillet they were crisping in (following the homemade carnitas recipe) over medium-low heat. Stir in the black beans and a ½ cup of the charred pepper salsa. Allow the beans to heat through.
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the avocados with a fork. Stir in the red onion, garlic, and juice of the remaining lime. Season with salt to taste.
- Assemble the burrito bowls with a scoop of rice on the bottom. Top with the carnitas and black beans, a small handful of romaine, a spoonful of the avocado mixture, a dollop of sour cream, extra salsa, cheese, cilantro, and a few radishes.
shop the dish: carnitas burrito bowl