Sharing this charred pepper salsa recipe with you today in hopes it becomes your new go-to salsa. I love the smoky addition of the charred peppers, giving this salsa tons of character and depth. It’s slightly unique and really rich in flavor, yet still easy to execute.
charred pepper salsa – the details
The secret of this salsa of course comes from the intense flavor of the charred peppers. You’ll roast red peppers, poblano peppers, and jalapenos in a smoking hot oven to give them a quick char that not only adds smokiness, but also brings out the sweetness of the peppers. After just 25 minutes of roasting, you’ll peel the skins of the peppers off and let them cool.
This is the perfect time to gather up the rest of the ingredients, which are classic salsa staples – red onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Everything gets pulsed up in the food processor, with a little water and oil to bring it all together.
You can simply eat this salsa alongside a bowl of guacamole with tortilla chips for dipping, use it as a taco topping, or serve it with just about any other Mexican dish. It’s a great staple recipe to keep in your back pocket.Print
Charred Pepper Salsa
a smoky, citrusy charred pepper salsa with red onion, garlic, lime juice, and cilantro
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed + quartered
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed + quartered
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed + halved
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place the red peppers and poblano peppers onto a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil to coat and spread into an even layer, with the peppers faced down. Season with a good pinch of salt. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Add the jalapenos to the pan. Drizzle them with oil and season with salt. Continue to roast all of the peppers for 10 more minutes, or until charred and tender. Allow the peppers to cool slightly. Peel and discard the skins (this does not have to be perfect). Allow the peppers to fully cool.
- Add the peppers, red onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice to a food processor. Pulse until finely minced. Blend in the oil and water until incorporated. Season with salt to taste.
shop the post: charred pepper salsa