These crispy chicken thighs will become your new go-to main dish for spring! The chicken is crisped in a hot skillet until golden, then roasted in the oven to finish cooking. A quick and flavorful charred green onion chimichurri sauce is spooned over top for a vibrant, herby punch of flavor. It’s simple, versatile, and can be served with any of your favorite side dishes.
crispy chicken thighs – the details
There’s something so satisfying about a protein cooked simply and then paired with a deliciously flavored sauce (this seared strip steak with mustard sauce being a great example).
While chicken breasts will always be a dinner staple, I love incorporating crispy chicken thighs into the rotation as well.
Cooking them with the skin on and bone in keeps them extra juicy, with plenty of savory flavor.
This method involves browning the chicken thighs in a hot skillet until the skin is crisp and golden. Then, as soon as you flip them over, you’ll transfer the skillet to the oven and allow the chicken to finish cooking.
I season the chicken thighs only with a generous amount of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, which brings out the natural, rich chicken flavor while leaving somewhat of a blank canvas for the sauce to shine.
The charred green onion chimichurri is a variation on classic chimichurri that has a nice smoky bite from the charred green onions and an additional oniony kick from the chives.
Plus, there’s your usual suspects of parsley, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar to give this sauce everything it needs (freshness, a little heat, and lots of tang).
It’s the perfect sauce to spoon over the crispy chicken thighs.Print
Crispy Chicken Thighs with Charred Green Onion Chimichurri
crispy, pan-roasted chicken thighs topped with a vibrant charred green onion chimichurri sauce
Charred Green Onion Chimichurri
- 6 green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
Crispy Chicken Thighs
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- neutral cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Allow the chicken thighs to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a 12” cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the green onions with a drizzle of olive oil to coat. Once the skillet is hot, place the green onions into the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until tender and slightly charred. Transfer the green onions to a cutting board and set the skillet aside.
- Roughly chop the green onions and add them to a mixing bowl. Add the parsley, oregano, chives, garlic, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar, and extra-virgin olive oil. Stir well to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of the chicken generously with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add enough neutral oil to just coat the bottom. Once hot, place 4 of the chicken thighs into the skillet, skin-side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Flip the chicken and transfer it to a plate. Repeat with the remaining 4 chicken thighs.
- Arrange all of the chicken, skin-side up, in the skillet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve the chicken with the chimichurri spooned over top, plus any extra herbs for garnish.