Simple sweet potato fritters to make for your next springtime dinner party! Grated sweet potatoes mixed with eggs, green onions, and smoked paprika…pan-fried until crisp and served with a lemony dill yogurt sauce. These are such a great appetizer, snack, or side dish made with minimal ingredients and vibrant flavors.
sweet potato fritters – the details
Sharing the very quick details on these sweet potato fritters because this recipe is exactly that…quick! While grating the sweet potatoes takes a little effort, after that the fritters come together really easily.
All the sweet potatoes need are a little egg to bind them together, some sliced green onions for a classic onion bite, a mix of spices (smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and granulated garlic), and a pinch of salt to bring all of the sweet and savory flavors out. A little flour helps give them body and a dash of baking powder allows them to puff up ever so slightly.
These sweet potato fritters get pan-fried in a shallow layer of hot oil until golden brown and crisp, yet soft on the inside. The key is to watch the heat and adjust as needed. Once they’re done, you’ll want to season them with a pinch of flaky sea salt for one last pop of flavor.
A crisp fritter like this needs a sauce that’s bright and creamy. Yogurt, fresh dill, lemon juice, and lemon zest get mixed together and create the perfect balance for the sweet potatoes.
My main tip is to serve these sweet potato fritters immediately. They don’t hold up well and definitely are best fresh. You can make them as a fun snack on a weekend afternoon or serve them up at your next dinner party!Print
Sweet Potato Fritters with Dill Yogurt Sauce
simple sweet potato fritters served with a lemony dill yogurt sauce
yield: approximately 12-14 fritters
Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Sweet Potato Fritters
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled + grated
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- neutral cooking oil
- flaky sea salt
- For the dill yogurt sauce, combine the greek yogurt, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, and granulated garlic in a mixing bowl. Stir until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Let sit at room temperature while you make the fritters.
- Add the eggs, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, cayenne, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Fold in the grated sweet potatoes and green onions. Sprinkle in the flour and baking powder. Fold to combine.
- Heat a 12” stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to generously coat the bottom. Once hot (the oil will shimmer), spoon about 2 tablespoons of the sweet potato mixture into the skillet at a time, using a spoon to flatten each fritter (you should be able to fit about 4-5 fritters in the skillet at once).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden crisp and cooked through. Adjust the heat throughout the cooking process as needed (medium-low if they’re getting too dark / back to medium when they’re not crisping enough).
- Transfer the fritters to a sheet pan lined with a rack to drain. Immediately sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Repeat with the remaining mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Serve the sweet potato fritters immediately with the dill yogurt sauce on top or alongside.