A cold winter night does not pass by without an insatiable craving for pizza. Most of the times…I give in. And when the pizza is as good as this winter burrata pizza with pistachio chili honey? Making it on a weekly basis is highly likely.
This winter burrata pizza is everything you could ever want or need for dinner this time of year. It’s full of vegetables and flavor to keep things exciting, while also satisfying a very simple craving of good, cheesy pizza.
Fennel and wild mushrooms (two of my favorite ingredients to cook with in the winter) get sauteed until caramelized and tender. The fennel is slightly sweet, while the mushrooms are really earthy…a perfect combination. Meanwhile, I make a tasty little mixture of shallots, chili peppers, pistachios, vinegar, and honey. This is where all the exciting flavor comes into play. I spoon it right on top of the pizza, with mozzarella, burrata, spinach, and the vegetables underneath.
Everything comes together in the most enticing way. It’s a flavor combination that will keep you coming back for another slice. Well, and there’s the creamy burrata cheese… that could do it, too.
And while you can absolutely go ahead and make your own homemade pizza dough, I’m using store bought dough here and it’s perfect. Because let’s face it, some nights just call for simplicity and a really fast pizza.Print
Winter Burrata Pizza with Pistachio Chili Honey
a cozy winter burrata pizza full of sautéed fennel & mushrooms, spinach, and pistachio chili honey
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ lb cremini or shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- kosher salt, as needed
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 red fresno chili pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 24 oz pizza dough, cut in half
- ½ lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large ball burrata cheese
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place two sheet pans upside down in the oven to pre-heat. The bottom of the sheet pans will be the surface you cook the pizzas on.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced fennel. Sauté until golden brown and tender. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Transfer the fennel to a plate and repeat with the mushrooms.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the shallot and chili peppers. Let sauté until caramelized. Stir in the fennel seeds and pistachios. Cook for another minute. Add the white wine vinegar and honey. Bring the mixture to a bubble and simmer for a couple of minutes, until the honey has slightly reduced. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out each piece of dough into a 10” circle. Rub enough olive oil onto the dough to fully cover the surface.
- Carefully transfer one of the hot sheet pans out of the oven onto the counter. Use a lightly floured pizza peel to transfer one of the pieces of dough to the sheet pan. Top the pizza with half of the mozzarella cheese. Break half of the burrata into pieces over top and season the cheese with a pinch of salt. Finish with a handful of spinach, half of the vegetables, and half of the pistachio chili honey mixture across the pizza. (*Be careful while assembling the pizza as the sheet pan will be hot.)
- Repeat with the second piece of dough and remaining ingredients.
- Bake the pizzas for about 12 minutes until the dough is cooked through, the crust is golden, and the cheese is bubbling. Cut each pizza into 4-6 slices.