Having a moment with cherry tomatoes right now, and caprese grilled cheese sandwiches seemed like the right thing to do! These are the most irresistible grilled cheeses that you need to make this summer, full of sweet tomatoes, lots of mozzarella, and fresh basil. Simple, yet oh so good.
Between this simple cherry tomato pasta, the herb marinated tomato panzanella, and the whipped feta with roasted tomatoes I shared the other day, we are pretty set with delicious cherry tomato recipes for the summer.
But, every time I go to the farmers market, I can’t help but pick up a pint. And so I couldn’t resist adding another recipe to the mix (and it probably won’t be the last…).
I give you the ultimate caprese grilled cheese sandwiches.
I’m definitely embracing simple recipes this summer, and these caprese grilled cheese sandwiches fit right in. It’s definitely not a new concept…I mean tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil is pretty standard. But, these sandwiches are SO beyond good that I had to share them!
When tomatoes are in season, there’s nothing like combining them with just a few other really good ingredients and letting them speak for themselves. Cooking them down until sweet and caramelized with shallots, garlic, and thyme, and then mounding them on top of a huge pile of shredded + fresh mozzarella seemed like the perfect thing to do.
All cooked in between two pieces of fresh bread that crisp up in bubbling olive oil.
And the final ingredient? Fresh basil, of course! You can’t get much better than this. Make these for a casual dinner party, or as a summer afternoon snack.
There’s nothing not to love here, and I hope you devour as many of these caprese grilled cheese sandwiches as my family and I did!!Print
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
simple caprese grilled cheese sandwiches full of cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced ¼”
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced ¼”
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10–12 large fresh basil leaves
- sea salt
- Heat a Dutch oven (or a heavy-bottom pot) over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Add the sliced shallots and let cook for a few minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, thyme sprigs, and salt. Let cook until the tomatoes begin to burst. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the garlic. Continue to cook until the tomatoes are soft and jammy, about 20 minutes or so, stirring often.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. Pair the slices of bread up into two’s and lay the “bottoms” out. Layer the fresh mozzarella cheese onto the bread. Season the cheese with a pinch of salt. Evenly distribute the shredded mozzarella cheese in mounds over top.
- Spoon the cooked cherry tomatoes onto the mozzarella. Gently tear the basil leaves into small pieces and sprinkle a generous amount over the tomatoes. Close the sandwiches with the “top” pieces of bread.
- Drizzle enough olive oil onto the griddle to fully coat it. Once hot, gently transfer the sandwiches to the griddle. Cook until crisp and golden on one side, lowering the heat if needed so the bread doesn’t burn.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil over the sandwiches. Use a spatula to gently flip them over. Once the second side is crisp and golden, and the cheese is melted, transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board.
- Cut the sandwiches in half. Top with a pinch of sea salt and more fresh basil.
The sandwiches should be packed with cheese, so work with them as carefully as possible when transferring and flipping them so that the cheese stays intact.