A fresh & vibrant shaved zucchini salad to add on to any summer meal! The zucchini is tossed in a spicy almond dressing with lots of lemon and garlic, mixed with plenty of herbs, and plated up with salty shards of parmesan cheese over top.
shaved zucchini salad – the details
August is the absolute best time for produce. All of the late summer fruits and vegetables are arriving at the markets, with signs of fall starting to appear in the produce selection as well. Everything is at their peak and everything is so insanely delicious.
I like to let produce shine this time of year and love getting creative with one ingredient at a time, highlighting my favorite ways to utilize each when they’re at their best.
Today, the star of the plate is zucchini!
You’ll shave the zucchini into beautiful thin strands by simply using a peeler. Begin to peel the zucchini as if you were taking off the skins, and then just keep peeling down to the core. The strands will be soft and pliable…ready to take on all of the flavor of the dressing.
It’s an unconventional dressing that starts on the stovetop by toasting slivered almonds in hot olive oil. Lots of flavor gets added in – garlic, lemon zest, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, and lemon juice. The heat allows all of these ingredients to become even more fragrant and infuse the olive oil.
After just a few minutes, the mixture is ready to be poured over the zucchini. I like adding in lots of parsley and dill for even more freshness and flavor. After a quick toss, just let the zucchini hang out and soak in the dressing for about 10 minutes before serving.
The final touch? A very generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese to add a salty bite right at the end.Print
Shaved Zucchini Salad with Spicy Almonds & Parmesan
shaved zucchini tossed in a spicy almond dressing and topped with parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ lbs zucchini (about 3 medium)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 4 large garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- Use a peeler to peel the zucchini into thin strands, working your way down and around each one until you reach the core of seeds. Add the shaved zucchini to a mixing bowl and discard the core.
- Heat a 10” skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the almonds. Cook for a minute or so until fragrant, stirring often. Stir in the garlic, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper. Allow to cook for about 30 seconds or so (watch closely so the garlic doesn’t burn).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Allow the dressing to cool for a couple of minutes and then pour it over the zucchini. Add the parsley and dill. Toss well and let sit for about 10 minutes or so to marinate.
- Plate the zucchini salad with all of the dressing poured over top. Garnish with the shaved parmesan and any extra herbs.