These caprese grilled cheese sandwiches are a simple way to savor all the beautiful summer tomatoes. They’re made with Italian bread slathered in garlic butter, juicy heirlooms tomatoes, lots of mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. A classic combination made even better by the crisp bread and gooey melted cheese.
caprese grilled cheese sandwiches – the details
I’m definitely embracing simple recipes this summer, and these caprese grilled cheese sandwiches fit right in. It’s definitely not a new concept…tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil is pretty standard. But, these sandwiches are so good that I had to share them!
When tomatoes are in season, there’s nothing like combining them with just a few other really good ingredients and letting them speak for themselves.
You’ll start by melting butter with fresh oregano and garlic to brush onto the bread. The toasted garlic flavor really comes through and adds a nice bite to the sandwich.
Then you’ll build the layers – a mound of shredded mozzarella, slices of heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. You’ll close each sandwich and cook them in hot olive oil until the bread is golden and crisp and the cheese is melted.
I like to top them with a little extra flaky sea salt to bring out all of the flavors.
These would be perfect for a summer lunch with a big salad on the side!Print
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
simple caprese grilled cheese sandwiches with heirloom tomatoes, lots of mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil
yield: 6 sandwiches
- ¼ lb salted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 12 slices Italian bread, sliced ½”
- ¾ lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ lb heirloom tomatoes, sliced ¼”
- ¾ lb fresh mozzarella, sliced ¼”
- fresh basil (3-4 leaves per sandwich)
- flaky sea salt
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and oregano sprigs. Let the butter melt. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is toasted. Turn off the heat. Mix in the olive oil.
- Brush the garlic butter onto each slice of bread. Onto the “bottom” slices, evenly distribute the shredded mozzarella. Layer the tomatoes next. Season with a pinch of salt. Layer the fresh mozzarella next. Season with another pinch of salt. Lastly, layer the basil leaves. Close the sandwiches with the top pieces of bread.
- Heat a 12” skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom. Once hot, gently transfer 3 of the sandwiches to the skillet. Cook until crisp and golden on one side, 2 minutes or so.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil over the sandwiches. Use a spatula to gently flip them over. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for another couple of minutes, or until the second side is crisp and golden, and the cheese is melted. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Cut the sandwiches in half. Top with a pinch of flaky sea salt and more fresh basil.