An unbelievably delicious roasted apple salad for your Thanksgiving menu! It’s full of sweet and salty flavors, lots of texture, and a caramelized shallot vinaigrette. One of the best salads that has come out of my kitchen to date!
Thanksgiving is just days away, and while I’m a little bit behind getting all of my planned recipes to the blog this year, I’m going to be sharing a bunch of new dishes by tomorrow! Hopefully just in time for your Thanksgiving planning.
First up, this roasted apple salad. It’s so good you’ll keep coming back for bite after bite. It’s a blend of arugula and baby kale tossed with roasted apples, fried pecans, crispy bacon, blue cheese, and golden raisins. All dressed in a sweet & tangy vinaigrette made of caramelized shallots, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar.Print
Roasted Apple Salad with Caramelized Shallot Vinaigrette
a sweet & salty salad full of arugula, baby kale, roasted apples, fried pecans, bacon, blue cheese, golden raisins, and a caramelized shallot vinaigrette
- 2 red delicious apples, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 6 oz raw, sliced bacon
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp neutral-flavored oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 oz arugula
- 5 oz baby kale, stems picked
- 6 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the sliced apples onto a sheet pan. Toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt. Spread the apples out into one, even layer. Roast for 10 minutes. Give the apples a flip and roast for another 5 minutes, or until golden. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the pecans and toast until golden and fragrant. Season with a pinch of salt. Spoon the pecans out onto a plate lined with paper towels.
- Wipe out the skillet and then lay the bacon out into an even layer. Cook the bacon over medium-low heat until crisp on one side. Flip the bacon and continue to render until completely crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Let cool, then roughly chop.
- To the bacon fat, add the shallots and a pinch of salt over medium heat. Sauté for a few minutes until the shallots are caramelized and softened. Add the maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine. Let simmer for 30 seconds or so. Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Slowly drizzle in the neutral-flavored oil until emulsified. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste (you want the vinaigrette to be very well seasoned).
- Add the arugula and baby kale to a large mixing bowl. Add the apples, pecans, bacon, blue cheese, and golden raisins. Toss well and drizzle in the vinaigrette until your desired consistency. Taste the salad and season with more salt and freshly cracked black pepper if needed. Serve immediately.