Sharing a simple salmon dinner today that’s elegant and special, yet simple enough for any night of the week. It’s served alongside roasted carrots with two sauces to bring it all together – a creamy yogurt sauce and a tangy chive vinaigrette.
While the times definitely call for lots of comfort food, I’ve been balancing things out with plenty of healthy, vibrant spring meals. And this simple salmon dinner definitely falls into that category. The two main ingredients – salmon and carrots – are both cooked with minimal ingredients. A bit of oil and a good seasoning of salt and black pepper is all you need.
You’ll roast the carrots in the oven and in the meantime whip up the yogurt sauce (flavored with a splash of freshly squeezed orange juice) and chive vinaigrette (which is sweet + tangy from a touch of honey and grainy mustard). Once the carrots have just about 10 minutes of cooking left, you’ll want to start the salmon. It’s seared skin-side down to create a golden crispy skin, then flipped over to finish cooking for just a few minutes longer.
Everything comes together beautifully with lots of fresh flavor from the chives and citrus. I absolutely love this simple salmon dinner, and I hope you do, too.Print
Simple Salmon Dinner with Roasted Carrots
a simple salmon dinner with roasted carrots, a tangy chive vinaigrette, and creamy yogurt sauce
- 1 bunch mixed carrots, peeled + quartered lengthwise
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 pc skin-on salmon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- ½ cup (4 oz) greek yogurt
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon (or orange) juice
- safflower oil (or any vegetable oil)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the carrots onto a half sheet pan and toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Spread the carrots into an even layer. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until tender and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, pat the salmon dry and let sit at room temperature while you make the sauces.
- Add the white wine vinegar, grainy mustard, and honey to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in 3 tablespoons of olive oil, whisking continuously. Stir in the chives and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add the greek yogurt and lemon juice to another small mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a stainless steel pan over medium heat. Add enough safflower oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the salmon skin-side down into the oil. Sear for about 5 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and easily releases from the pan. Flip the salmon over and finish cooking on the other side, about 3-4 minutes longer, or until cooked to your desired doneness.
- Spread the yogurt sauce onto a large plate. Place the salmon on top, with the roasted carrots alongside. Spoon the chive vinaigrette over both the salmon and carrots. Season with more freshly cracked black pepper.
shop the dish: simple salmon dinner with roasted carrots