Sharing light & crispy zucchini fritters today just in time for Father’s Day weekend! They’re simple and use just a few minimal ingredients. Scallions add an onion bite and fresh dill adds lots of herby flavor. They’re pan-fried and served with a quick lemon yogurt sauce on the side. Such a great summer appetizer to start off your meal!
zucchini fritters – the details
I like to start this recipe by mixing up the lemon yogurt sauce. It’s a combo of greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, and salt. Really simple and really vibrant. Once that’s done, you can turn your full focus to the fritters. They come together really quickly so it’s nice to have the sauce ready to go.
The fritters aren’t going to be incredibly crispy…they’ll have more of a pancake texture, but the edges should still get nice and crisp. The main key is to try and get as much water out of the zucchini as possible. You’ll shred it first (I just use a classic cheese grater) and then pile it into the center of a kitchen towel. Then, you’ll wring the zucchini out over the sink to squeeze out all of the liquid. This step will help keep the fritters crisp instead of soggy.
From there, it’s just a simple one-bowl batter that gets mixed up and spooned into hot oil. After just a few minutes, the fritters will be golden brown and smelling DELICIOUS. Make sure to season them really well with salt when they’re hot out of the oil and then serve them immediately with the lemon yogurt sauce on the side. These are definitely best served as quickly as possible.
They’re the perfect little starter to a summer meal! Maybe follow them up with this garlicky grilled chicken and a big bowl of pasta salad. And end the night with a brown sugar strawberry crisp. Doesn’t get much better than that!Print
Zucchini Fritters with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
light and crisp zucchini fritters with a citrusy lemon yogurt sauce & fresh dill
Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup (8oz) greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 medium zucchini, shredded (1 ½ lbs total shredded)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus more to garnish
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- vegetable oil
Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in a pinch of salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place the shredded zucchini in the center of a large, clean kitchen towel. Twist the towel and wring out the excess liquid from the zucchini over a sink, squeezing until the zucchini is as dry as possible. Transfer the zucchini to a bowl.
- Add the scallions, dill, eggs, and egg yolk. Use a fork to beat the eggs and combine the ingredients. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Use a wooden spoon to incorporate, mixing until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to come about ¼” up the edge. Once hot, spoon the fritter batter into the oil in small mounds. Use the back of the spoon to flatten each fritter to about ¼”.
- Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Use a metal spatula to gently flip the fritters and finish cooking on the other side, about 2-3 more minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Watch the fritters closely and adjust the heat if needed so they don’t burn.
- Transfer the fritters to a plate lined with paper towels to quickly drain. Season with a pinch of salt. Repeat the cooking process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve immediately with the lemon yogurt sauce on the side. Garnish with fresh dill leaves.
shop the dish: zucchini fritters with lemon yogurt sauce