We’re talking simple grilled shrimp rolls today – creamy, luxurious shrimp salad bundled up in a buttery, toasted brioche bun. It truly doesn’t get much better than this on a hot summer day!
Oh how I love these shrimp rolls. Can you think of anything better?! While I dream of eating a fresh lobster roll on the coast of Maine, something similar at home is going to have to do right now. So I took the concept and flavors and swapped the lobster out for juicy grilled shrimp. It’s much more approachable and something I think everyone will have fun making.
So simple that you’ll hopefully be grilling these all summer long! While the shrimp flavor really shines through, there’re just a few other subtle ingredients to bring out its fresh, delicate taste.
The base of the shrimp mixture is mayonnaise. It’s flavored with lemon juice, a dash of hot sauce, fresh chives, celery, and lots of thinly sliced scallions for a nice onion bite. The shrimp is quickly grilled over hot flames, cooled down, and then tossed with everything else. It’s bursting with fresh flavor, but nothing overpowers the shrimp.
While the shrimp is cooling, you’ll quickly toast some brioche buns on the grill as well. Brioche buns are buttery and rich, so they’re the perfect complement to the cool & refreshing shrimp.Print
Grilled Shrimp Rolls on Brioche Buns
simple, creamy grilled shrimp rolls on toasted brioche buns
yield: 4 shrimp rolls
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1 ½ lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled + deveined
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 4 brioche “hot dog” buns
- garnishes: minced chives + sliced scallions + flaky sea salt
- Preheat the grill over high heat.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce in a large bowl. Whisk well to combine. Fold in the scallions, celery, and chives. Chill the mixture while you grill the shrimp.
- Pat the shrimp dry. Toss with a good drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Grill the shrimp for a couple of minutes on each side until slightly charred and cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the grill and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, turn the grill to low. Toss the buns on the grill for a few seconds to quickly toast.
- Chop each shrimp into 2-3 smaller pieces. Add it to the mayonnaise mixture and toss really well to coat. Spoon the shrimp into the toasted buns. Garnish with a sprinkle of chives, scallions, and flaky sea salt.
shop the dish: grilled shrimp rolls