A very simple & healthy cheesy tomato baked skillet chicken to warm these winter nights! This is such a quick and easy chicken recipe that you can truly throw together any night of the week. Chicken breasts are seared in a skillet until golden, then a quick tomato sauce is simmered until sweet & flavorful. Everything is baked with lots of mozzarella cheese over top and served with an optional (but delicious) tangy olive topping. You can serve this chicken over pasta, with crusty bread for dipping into the sauce, or even just eat it with a big salad alongside!
cheesy tomato baked skillet chicken – the details
Chicken is my go-to for weeknight meals, as I’m sure it is for many of you. I’m always trying to come up with new ways to make weeknight chicken exciting, and during the wintertime…extra comforting.
But of course, the weekdays are busy and we need recipes that come together quickly. And that’s exactly why I love this cheesy tomato baked skillet chicken.
You’ll start off by searing the chicken breasts in a hot skillet until golden brown. The chicken is transferred out while you start layering in some simple flavors for an easy tomato sauce – caramelized onion and fennel, fresh garlic, white wine, fire-roasted red peppers, and crushed tomatoes.
The chicken gets added to the sauce and simmers for a few minutes on the stovetop. You’ll top the entire thing with lots of shredded and fresh mozzarella cheese. Transfer the skillet to the oven and wait until everything is beautifully melted and slightly crispy around the edges.
You can opt to eat it as is, maybe over some pasta or with toasted bread alongside. But if you love olives like me and want to mix up a bright and tangy topping, you’ll combine Italian castelvetrano olives (the very best), olive oil, parsley, and lemon zest for a quick little something to brighten things up!
And if you’re looking for more weeknight chicken recipes, here are a few favorites…
Dad’s Lemon Chicken
Salt & Pepper Roasted Chicken Dinner
Crispy Chicken Thighs with Herb Orzo & Stewed Peppers
Cheesy Tomato Baked Skillet Chicken
a simple & healthy cheesy tomato baked skillet chicken with a tangy olive topping
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ (16 oz) jar fire-roasted red peppers, drained + thinly sliced
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced ¼”
- grated parmesan cheese
for the olive topping (optional)…
- ½ cup pitted, halved castelvetrano olives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Pat the chicken dry and season well with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat a 12” cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Once hot, place the chicken into the skillet. Sear on one side for about 3 minutes until golden brown. Flip and sear for another 2 minutes. Transfer the chicken out of the skillet and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium. Add another drizzle of olive oil, plus the red onion and fennel. Season well and cook for about 6-8 minutes until caramelized, stirring often. Stir in the garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the white wine. Simmer for a minute or so. Stir in the roasted red peppers and crushed tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken breasts back in the skillet, covering them with the sauce. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. Top the skillet with the shredded and sliced fresh mozzarella. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through. Turn the oven to high broil and broil the skillet for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is golden.
- Meanwhile, combine the olives, olive oil, parsley, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Mix well. Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for a minute or so. Top with lots of grated parmesan cheese. Serve the olive topping alongside.
You can serve this chicken over pasta, with some crusty bread for dipping into the sauce, or just on its own!
shop the dish: cheesy tomato baked skillet chicken
One thought on “Cheesy Tomato Baked Skillet Chicken”
Hi Kayla! The skillet chicken recipe was spot on! I found it on the internet, but unlike so many things created by home cooks/bloggers, this dish was well balanced and flavorful. The addition of the olive relish was really a great element. I read your bio, and your training and passions are evident. It will definitely go into my rotation. Thanks for sharing the recipe.