An easy summer side dish that’s bursting with flavor: grilled zucchini with ricotta & caper vinaigrette. Sliced zucchini grilled until slightly charred and tender, topped with creamy ricotta cheese, a tangy caper-walnut vinaigrette, and lots of fresh basil. It’s absolutely irresistible, so simple to make, and would be such a tasty addition to any summer cookout!
We’re in the final stretch of warm weather, with Labor Day weekend practically here, so some fresh cookout inspiration is in order! I’m attempting to savor every last bit of our summer produce – making this tomato salad, definitely planning a creamy corn fettuccine night, and baking up an ample amount of almond peach crisp.
To get the most out of all the beautiful zucchini, I made a very decadent chocolate zucchini bread this week that you will LOVE. For something savory, this grilled zucchini dish will do just the trick.
grilled zucchini with ricotta & caper vinaigrette – the details
There are essentially three steps to this recipe and it could not be easier. Yet, the vinaigrette has such a unique flavor from the fresh oregano and toasted walnuts, plus all the briny & salty tang from the capers, that it’s truly an out of this world kind of dish.
You’ll start by mixing together the vinaigrette. The base is balsamic vinegar, with a touch of honey to sweeten things up. I like to use a good extra-virgin olive oil whenever making a vinaigrette for the purest flavor.
Stir in all of the other ingredients and you’re good to go.
Next, you’ll grill the zucchini. They take no time at all when cut into slices, so you can easily throw them on when any meats or seafood you might be grilling are almost done.
After that, all that’s left to do is plate it all up. I like to arrange the zucchini first, then dollop on the creamy ricotta cheese (which is SO delicious when it hits the warm zucchini), then spoon over the vinaigrette. Fresh basil and freshly cracked black pepper finish things off.
It might sound simple, but trust me, it is absolutely incredible. Might just be one of my favorite vegetable dishes I’ve made to date!
If you’re looking for more grilled vegetable recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Grilled Zucchini with Ricotta & Caper Vinaigrette
grilled zucchini with creamy ricotta cheese & a tangy caper-walnut vinaigrette
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus more to coat the zucchini
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (2 oz) jar capers, drained + roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted + roughly chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ lbs zucchini, sliced ½” thick (approximately 2 large zucchini)
- ½ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar and honey together in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Stir in the oregano, capers, and walnuts. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat the grill over high heat. Coat the zucchini slices with a generous amount of olive oil on both sides. Season with a pinch of salt. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side until slightly charred and tender.
- Arrange the zucchini onto a large platter. Dollop the ricotta and drizzle the caper vinaigrette over top. Garnish with the basil, a pinch of salt over the ricotta, and more black pepper.