A simple baked blueberry french toast for any spring or summer brunch! It’s made with pieces of buttery brioche bread tossed in an egg & milk mixture flavored with lots of vanilla. Both blueberry jam and fresh blueberries give it such a sweet, delicious flavor. It’s baked until golden and then topped with freshly whipped cream and maple syrup.
baked blueberry french toast – the details
You’ll absolutely love how easily this baked blueberry french toast recipe comes together, making it such a great breakfast or brunch option when serving a crowd!
It gets started by mixing together a combination of eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt to create a beautifully simple base of flavor to soak the brioche bread in.
The bread is soft and buttery, and it absorbs liquid really easily. You can find loaves of brioche bread in most grocery stores.
Fresh blueberries get folded in and then everything can be spread out into a standard, buttered baking dish. Before baking, you’ll dollop a few generous spoonfuls of blueberry jam over top to give even more sweet & juicy blueberry flavor.
Once the baked blueberry french toast comes out of the oven, it’ll be golden and ready to serve. I like to make freshly whipped cream for topping, and you’ll of course want to have some warm maple syrup alongside.
For special occasions, I’ll usually dust it with a little powdered sugar, too.
The dish itself gets all of its sweetness only from the blueberry jam, so the whipped cream, maple syrup, and powdered sugar will add just the right amount of extra sweetness, without being overbearing.
Serve this baked french toast on its own, or add on a savory dish like a potato & gruyère frittata to complete the meal!Print
Baked Blueberry French Toast
an easy baked blueberry french toast with fresh blueberries, blueberry jam, softly whipped cream & maple syrup
- butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (1 ½ lb) loaf challah or brioche, cubed ½”
- ¾ cup blueberry jam
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- for topping: powdered sugar & warm maple syrup
for the whipped cream…
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13” baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Add the cubed bread to the egg mixture and toss really well, making sure all of the bread is coated and fully soaked. Fold in 1 cup of the blueberries.
- Transfer the bread mixture to the baking dish. Dollop the blueberry jam and arrange the remaining ½ cup of blueberries over top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through and slightly golden.
- Meanwhile, pour the heavy cream into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the cream until frothy. Add the powdered sugar. Continue to whip until soft peaks form, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Serve the baked blueberry french toast with a dollop of whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, and a drizzle of maple syrup.