Cold, winter months aren’t quite complete without a hearty winter soup to go with them.
Soup is my favorite go-to meal because you can pack everything you need into one dish. This tortellini soup has cannellini beans, lots of vegetables, and a beautifully toasted slice of French bread on top. Not to mention there’s a whole lot of melted parmesan cheese….and bacon. It’ll keep you warm all winter long. Enjoy!
Winter Tortellini Soup with Melted Parmesan Bacon Crostini
a hearty soup with escarole, white beans, and tortellini topped with a cheesy bacon crostini
Winter Tortellini Soup
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head escarole, roughly chopped
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes with juice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb cooked cannellini beans
- 1 lb tortellini, cooked
- salt and pepper
Melted Parmesan Bacon Crostini
- 1 baguette, sliced ½ inch
- olive oil
- 4 oz chunk parmesan cheese
- In a medium pot, add the bacon and heat over medium heat. Render the bacon, stirring often, until it is crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve. Add the onion and red pepper to the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until tender. Add the garlic. Saute for a minute. Add the escarole. While the escarole cooks, blend the tomatoes until smooth. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, and thyme sprigs to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans and tortellini. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until serving.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Brush each slice of bread with olive oil. Lay the slices of bread on a sheet tray and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Grate a generous amount of parmesan onto each slice of bread. Return the tray to the oven and broil on high, just for a minute until the cheese is melted. Remove the bread from the oven and sprinkle the cooked bacon onto the bread.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a crostini on top. Grate more Parmesan cheese to garnish.
- Serving Size:4