A unique dish that will make you want to lick the plate…and it includes a perfectly fried egg.
This dish is a spin on the classic eggs and toast, bursting with unique flavors and interesting textures. The plate gets a spoonful of vibrant spinach pesto to start, and then toasted ancient grain bread tossed with olive oil, harissa, and smoked almonds is piled on top. Kohlrabi and mushrooms add a rich, caramelized flavor, especially since I added a touch of ghee to finish their sauté. To top things off, a perfectly fried egg plus garnishes of shaved watermelon radishes, sorrel leaves, and basil flowers from the farmer’s market. For more on how to fry an egg, I go into tons of detail for these Farm Fresh Eggs Three Ways.Print
Harissa Kohlrabi Panzanella with Spinach Pesto & Fried Eggs
a different take on the classic eggs and toast, including harissa spiced toasted bread, sautéed kohlrabi and mushrooms, spinach pesto & a perfectly fried egg
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small kohlrabi, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp ghee
- 3 thick slices ancient grain bread, cubed
- 1 tsp harissa powder
- 2 tbsp smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 2 eggs
- canola oil
- 1 small watermelon radish, peeled and thinly shaved
- sorrel leaves
- basil flowers
- black hawaiian salt
- In a food processor, combine the basil, spinach, garlic, almonds, and parmesan cheese. Pulse until the mixture is finely ground. Add the lemon juice and honey. Slowly blend in the olive oil, drizzling the oil into the processor as it runs. Season with salt to taste. Set aside for serving. Save any pesto you don’t need in the refrigerate for another time.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and kohlrabi. Sauté until brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes, lowering the heat to medium after a few minutes so the vegetables do not burn. Season with salt and black pepper. At the end, add the ghee and let it coat the vegetables. Keep warm. Heat another pan over medium heat and coat with oil. Add the bread cubes to the pan. Let the bread toast on each side, tossing often. Once toasted, transfer the bread to a bowl. Sprinkle in the sautéed mushrooms and kohlrabi, harissa powder, and smoked almonds. Drizzle a bit of olive oil in the bowl and toss everything together until incorporated.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add enough oil to coat the pan. Break each egg into an individual dish. Fry the eggs one by one (or use multiple pans). Pour each egg into the hot oil. Cook until the whites are set and the yolk has reached your desired doneness. Slide the egg onto a plate, season, and keep warm.
- Spoon the spinach pesto onto a plate and spread it across. Pile the panzanella on top. Place the fried egg in the center, sitting on a few pieces of bread. Garnish with the watermelon radishes, sorrel leaves, and basil flowers. Sprinkle the black hawaiian salt on top of the egg and radishes (use sparingly).
- Serving Size:2