Sharing a flavor-packed breakfast recipe tonight in the form of mexican baked eggs. Full of chorizo, a variety of sweet + spicy peppers, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Finished with fresh toppings and served with charred tortillas. It’s an easy recipe that’s impossible to resist.
These mexican baked eggs are a new favorite of mine! Pretty much like a mexican-style shakshuka. The entire dish is made in one skillet. The chorizo gets browned, then the onions and peppers get caramelized, then the sauce simmers away. Once everything comes together, the dish is topped with cheese and a few eggs are cracked over top.
The skillet goes into the oven and is baked until the eggs are set. Avocado, radishes, green onions, and cilantro are the vibrant finishing touches. They’re the perfect contrast to the rich, spicy flavors.
I like to spoon the baked egg mixture into warm, charred tortillas and eat them just like tacos. So, so good!!Print
Mexican Baked Eggs with Chorizo & Peppers
spicy mexican baked eggs with chorizo & peppers
- olive oil
- ¾ lb raw chorizo
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 anaheim peppers, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 (28oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly shaved
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- cilantro leaves
- warm, charred tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat a 12” cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to just coat the bottom. Once hot, add the chorizo. Break up the chorizo into small pieces and sear until brown on all sides, stirring often. Transfer the chorizo to a plate.
- To the same skillet, add the sliced onions and peppers. Season with a pinch of salt. Sauté until caramelized and tender. Stir in the garlic. Let cook another minute or so.
- Add the chipotles, adobo sauce, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Stir in the reserved chorizo. Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat until thickened. Top the sauce with the shredded cheese. Make 6 “wells” in the sauce and crack the eggs into them. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Top the baked eggs with slices of avocado, shaved radishes, sliced scallions, and cilantro leaves. Serve with warm, charred tortillas on the side.
2 thoughts on “Mexican Baked Eggs with Chorizo & Peppers”
Does the chorizo go back into the dish at some point? Maybe in step 3, before the cheese? Can’t wait to try this recipe!
Yes! Thank you for catching this. I just updated the recipe. It gets stirred back in and simmered with the sauce to heat through before baking! I hope you enjoy!