A vibrant bowl of golden amaranth oats to brighten up these January mornings! Amaranth and oats cooked in coconut milk until creamy, flavored with cinnamon, golden turmeric, and honey. Pour into your prettiest bowl and top with coconut flakes, pistachios, and honey caramelized bananas. It’s a healthy oatmeal recipe that feels so special, full of nourishing ingredients to start your day on the best note!
Happy 2021! I hope everyone had the most wonderful holiday and a couple of relaxing weeks at home. I took a little time off to slow down and share the holiday season with my family. It was such a refreshing break, but I couldn’t be more excited to jump into the year and get back in the kitchen with you!
After what seems like weeks and weeks of indulgent eating, I think we’re all ready for some lighter, more nutritious recipes. I love incorporating lots of color, freshness, and flavor into my January meals to start the year off on the right foot…while still keeping things comforting and delicious. A little bit of cleansing, a little bit of comfort food. The perfect mix for these cold winter days.
The first new recipe I’m digging into this year? Golden amaranth oats with caramelized bananas!
golden amaranth oats – the details
My favorite way to feel my best in January is eating lots of nutrient-dense foods. I find it so much fun to create flavorful dishes around ingredients that are really good for us. And grains are one of them.
Amaranth is a gluten-free grain that is full of protein and fiber. It gets combined with creamy coconut milk, cinnamon, honey, and turmeric in a saucepan and cooks for about 15 minutes. You’ll then stir in some oats and finish cooking everything until it’s thickened.
Simple as that. The flavors are really subtle and so lovely together, with the coconut milk making the dish feel decadent. And the best part, of course? All the toppings! You’ll quickly caramelize bananas in coconut oil and honey until sweet and sticky. Some coconut flakes, pistachios, rose petals, and an extra drizzle of honey add the finishing touch!
If you’re looking for more new year inspiration, check out my 24 favorite healthy recipes!Print
Golden Amaranth Oats with Caramelized Bananas
creamy amaranth & oats cooked in coconut milk, flavored with golden turmeric, cinnamon, and honey, then topped with coconut flakes, pistachios, and caramelized bananas
- ½ cup amaranth, rinsed
- 1 (13.5 fl oz) can coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large banana, peeled + sliced ¼”
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- more honey, to drizzle
- rose petals (optional)
- Combine the amaranth, coconut milk, water, 1 tablespoon of honey, and cinnamon stick in a 2 qt saucepan. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in the turmeric. Turn the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the oats and cook, uncovered, for about 6-8 more minutes, or until thickened and creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil. Once hot, add the banana slices in one layer. Cook for a minute or so. Drizzle in the remaining 1 tablespoon of honey. Turn the heat to medium and cook for another couple of minutes until deeply caramelized. Flip the bananas, turn off the heat, and season with a pinch of salt.
- Pour the oats into two bowls. Top with the caramelized bananas, chopped pistachios, coconut flakes, and another drizzle of honey. Garnish with rose petals (optional).
shop the dish: golden amaranth oats with caramelized bananas
One thought on “Golden Amaranth Oats with Caramelized Bananas”
Is there anything we can substitute for amaranth? Our grocery stores are usually pretty limited for selection.. thanks!