Friday comfort food in the form of fried mozzarella sandwiches, also known as “mozzarella in carrozza” – two slices of bread slathered in an herby garlic butter, with lots of mozzarella cheese inside, closed and breaded in crunchy panko breadcrumbs, then pan-fried in butter until golden and gooey. Served with plenty of warm marinara sauce for dipping. This is the ultimate, simple indulgent food. Make these sandwiches for a snack, as an appetizer, or even for dinner with a big salad alongside.
fried mozzarella sandwiches – the details
I’ve been wanting to make fried mozzarella sandwiches for awhile. They’re known as mozzarella in carrozza and are basically an Italian version of a grilled cheese sandwich.
It’s a simple recipe with minimal ingredients. Providing lots of crunch, plenty of gooey cheesiness, and that addicting, mouthwatering combination of buttery bread, rich mozzarella, and savory marinara sauce we all know and love (think classic fried mozzarella sticks).
To make this recipe my own, I slathered the bread with an herby garlic butter to add a little pop of classic garlic bread flavor. The finished sandwich? Absolutely DELICIOUS.
These fried mozzarella sandwiches are something you can whip up whenever the craving hits. A last-minute dinner for a busy weeknight, a fun snack on the weekend, or even as a comforting appetizer.
If you’re looking for more comfort food recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Fried Mozzarella Sandwiches on Herby Garlic Bread
simple fried mozzarella sandwiches on herby garlic bread with marinara sauce for dipping
yield: 4 sandwiches
- 1 stick + 4 tbsp (6 oz total) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp granulated garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- kosher salt
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 1 (12 oz) block whole milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 (¼”) slices
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 1 jar marinara sauce, warmed
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Combine the stick of butter, granulated garlic, parsley, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Mix well. Spread a thin layer of the butter mixture onto each slice of bread. Place two slices of mozzarella onto half of the bread slices (see pictures). Close the sandwiches.
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls, one with the flour, one with the eggs, and one with the breadcrumbs. Beat the eggs. Season the breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt. Dredge each sandwich really well through the flour, eggs, and then breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 (12”) fry pans over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to each pan and let melt. Once the butter is hot, add 2 of the sandwiches to each pan. Cook until golden on one side, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwiches. Cook for another 3 minutes until golden.
- Drizzle the sandwiches with olive oil and cover the pans, leaving the lids cracked slightly so steam can escape. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted.
- Uncover the sandwiches and transfer them to a cutting board. Slice in half. Season them with a pinch of salt. Serve with warm marinara sauce on the side and a sprinkle of grated parmesan over top.