An easy side dish that’s unique and FULL of fun flavor and texture: whipped sweet potatoes with sizzled scallions. Roasted sweet potatoes whipped up into a creamy side dish, flavored with a little soy sauce and honey, then topped with a spicy mixture of crunchy walnuts, sesame seeds, scallions, and crushed red pepper.
whipped sweet potatoes – the details
Excited to share this quick little side dish you can throw together alongside any roast chicken or seared steak dinner. These whipped sweet potatoes are simple to make, yet something a little different than the usual.
Sweet potatoes are roasted until incredibly soft and caramelized. You’ll scoop out the flesh (the skins are great for snacking) and whip it up in a food processor with some soy sauce, honey, and butter. In seconds you’ll have the creamiest, silky-smooth potatoes. Easy as that.
You could leave the sweet potatoes as is and they’d make a great side dish. But, for a special finishing touch, I made a crunchy walnut and sizzled scallion topping.
It comes together quickly in a hot skillet, with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes adding flavor and spice. Spoon this mixture over the sweet potatoes for lots of contrasting texture and flavor to make it all pop!
If you’re looking for more potato recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Sizzled Scallions
creamy whipped sweet potatoes with a walnut & sizzled scallion topping
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the sweet potatoes onto a sheet pan. Drizzle the sweet potatoes with olive oil to fully coat. Season with a pinch of salt. Roast for 1 hour, or until caramelized and tender. Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a 12” skillet over medium heat. Add the ¼ cup of olive oil. Once hot, add the scallions, walnuts, and sesame seeds. Quickly saute for about 2 minutes until the scallions are sizzled and walnuts/sesame seeds are toasted. Stir in the red pepper flakes and season with a pinch of salt. Turn off the heat.
- Use your hands to peel off the sweet potato skins and add all of the flesh to a food processor. Add the butter, soy sauce, and honey. Process until smooth and creamy. Season with salt to taste.
- Plate the whipped sweet potatoes with the scallion mixture spooned over top.
shop the dish: whipped sweet potatoes with sizzled scallions