A fun twist on the classic summer side dish: grilled pepper potato salad with creamy mustard dressing. Full of sweet & spicy peppers, crispy potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, green onions & radishes, and lots of fresh herbs. If you need a side dish for any end of summer cookouts…this is it!
grilled pepper potato salad – the details
You’ll start off by cooking the potatoes and peppers. They’re both cooked on the grill, which gives them a nice smoky flavor. The potatoes will also crisp up slightly just like they would in the oven, which gives this potato salad a unique texture compared to the classic.
The peppers on the other hand, will become charred on the outside, and tender & juicy on the inside. You’ll peel off all the blackened skin, chop up the peppers, and they’re ready to go.
The rest of the potato salad ingredients are pretty simple – some green onions & radishes for a crisp bite, hard boiled eggs to add substance, and fresh herbs for summer flare.
Everything gets tossed with a delicious creamy mustard dressing that’s thinned out with lots of lemon juice to make it really bright and fresh!
I’d serve this grilled pepper potato salad alongside some garlicky grilled chicken and maybe a big bowl of heirloom tomato gazpacho! Sounds like the perfect meal to eat outside on a hot summer night!
If you’re looking for more potato recipes, here are a few to try:
Loaded Smashed Potatoes with Bacon & Parmesan
Grilled Potatoes with Scallion Vinaigrette & Walnuts
Crispy Potatoes with Jammy Eggs & Bacon
Grilled Pepper Potato Salad with Creamy Mustard Dressing
a grilled pepper potato salad with sweet & spicy peppers, green onions, radishes, herbs, hard boiled eggs, and a creamy mustard dressing
- 1 ½ lbs fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 small red bell peppers
- 1 red fresno pepper
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grainy “old style” mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups watercress (or arugula)
- 6 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the grill over high heat. Place the potatoes onto a half sheet pan. Drizzle them generously with olive oil, toss well, and spread them into an even layer, cut-side down. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Transfer the pan of potatoes to the grill, along with the bell and fresno peppers. Cover the grill hood and cook for about 8 minutes, turning the peppers occasionally to char on all sides.
- Remove the fresno (it should be tender). Flip the potatoes over. Lower the grill heat to medium-low, cover the hood again, and continue to cook the potatoes and bell peppers for about 12-15 more minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, add the mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Remove everything from the grill. Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skins/stems. Roughly chop the bell peppers and finely chop the fresno.
- Add the potatoes, peppers, watercress, hard boiled eggs, green onions, radishes, basil, chives, and a generous amount of black pepper to the bowl of dressing. Toss gently to combine. Arrange the potato salad on a large platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
shop the dish: grilled pepper potato salad with creamy mustard dressing
One thought on “Grilled Pepper Potato Salad with Creamy Mustard Dressing”
I made this tonight and loved it! Will definitely make it again. Thanks so much for this recipe 🙂