There’s nothing like a sweet & savory marinated stone fruit caprese salad to celebrate summer! The fruit is tossed with red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, and plenty of herbs. After a quick marinade, it’s all spooned over creamy buffalo mozzarella cheese. It’s the quickest “no recipe” kind of recipe to throw together if you need a last minute appetizer or side dish. You can serve it with toasted bread or just eat it as is!
marinated stone fruit caprese salad – the details
This marinated stone fruit “caprese” salad is the definition of a simple summer dish. It really doesn’t get easier (or more delicious) than this.
When stone fruit is at its peak, it is such a treat. A juicy peach or plum is pretty hard to beat. The flavor is intoxicating and just screams summer. My goal with this dish was to preserve that beautiful flavor, so I kept things pretty minimal…only adding in ingredients that would highlight the stone fruit.
The marinade is made of red wine vinegar for a little acidity, honey for a touch more sweetness, rich olive oil, and lots of fresh herbs – basil, oregano, and thyme. You’ll quite literally just toss everything together with the stone fruit.
I used peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries when making this…but any combination of stone fruit would work! After sitting at room temperature for 30 minutes, all of the sweet, herby flavors meld together and the fruit is ready to go.
Since this is a twist on the classic Italian caprese salad, we of course need some mozzarella cheese. I’m using buffalo mozzarella that I tore into pieces. It’s extra creamy and has a richer depth of flavor than regular (cow milk) fresh mozzarella. If you can’t find it or it’s not your thing, you could of course use what you like.
You’ll simply arrange the mozzarella and marinated stone fruit onto a platter, make it even more beautiful with some extra herbs, and top it all with lots of freshly cracked black pepper. And make sure to give the dish a drizzle of the marinade over top.
Serve it with toasted bread alongside, or dig in as is!
If you’re looking for more summer salad recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Marinated Stone Fruit Caprese Salad
a simple marinated stone fruit caprese salad with buffalo mozzarella & herbs
- 1 ½ lbs ripe stone fruit, pitted + sliced into wedges
- ½ lb sweet cherries, pitted + halved
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 6 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 lb buffalo mozzarella, torn into pieces (or fresh mozzarella, sliced)
- flaky sea salt
- Combine the stone fruit, cherries, red wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, basil, oregano, and thyme in a mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt & cracked black pepper to taste. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the mozzarella onto a platter. Spoon the marinated stone fruit over top, along with a drizzle of the vinegar & olive oil.
- Garnish with any extra herbs, flaky sea salt, and cracked black pepper.
shop the dish: marinated stone fruit caprese salad