The most perfect blueberry streusel muffins overflowing with sweet, juicy summer blueberries. They’re soft and tender, with a buttery topping that’s golden and slightly crisp. Eat these warm with a generous slathering of softened butter for a decadent summer treat, morning or afternoon.
blueberry streusel muffins – the details
This simple blueberry muffin recipe is a complete staple in my kitchen. To me, it’s the perfect muffin. They’re tall and incredibly tender on the inside. Every bite is bursting with sweet blueberries. And the streusel creates a rich, buttery topping that makes them extra addicting.
You’ll make the streusel first and then toss it in the fridge so that the butter stays cold. The muffin batter is made in a stand mixer by creaming butter and sugar together just like making cookies. Make sure to scrape down the bowl often in order to ensure the mixture is evenly incorporated.
Eggs and vanilla go in next. And then you’ll alternate adding in the dry ingredients with heavy cream. By alternating, you again ensure a well-incorporated batter. The final touch is folding in LOTS of blueberries. I added in an entire pound, which gives every single bite plenty of juicy berries running throughout.
In order for these blueberry streusel muffins to bake up nice and tall, you’ll need a regular muffin tin plus tall muffin liners. Here are the ones I like to use.
Just evenly distribute the batter into each cup, top with all of that delicious streusel, and they’re ready for the oven!
These come out of the oven smelling absolutely intoxicating…a mix of vanilla, butter, and warm berries. Let them cool for just for a few minutes and then eat them nice and warm with butter slathered over top.
The loveliest treat for a summer morning or afternoon, best enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
Blueberry Streusel Muffins
simple blueberry streusel muffins full of sweet, juicy blueberries and a crisp, buttery streusel topping
yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ lb salted butter, cubed
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ lb salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 lb fresh blueberries
- softened butter, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- For the streusel topping, add the flour, brown sugar, cubed butter, and salt to a mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Let sit in the refrigerator.
- For the blueberry muffins, combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Use a paddle attachment to cream them together until smooth, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix in 1 egg at a time. Add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the heavy cream to the mixer in 3 additions each. Fold in the blueberries.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with tall liners. Evenly distribute the batter into the pan, approximately ¼ cup per muffin. Mound the streusel over top each one. Place a few extra blueberries onto the streusel.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature with a slather of softened butter.