The most delicate, perfect little lemon poppy seed muffins. Topped with softened butter and a drizzle of lavender infused honey. These are such a treat, and I cannot wait to eat them all spring long.
This combo for a muffin recipe sounded too good to me not to create (lemon + poppy seed + lavender + honey), and trust me they turned out better than I could have hoped for. The flavors and sweetness are mild, the texture of the muffins are soft and airy, and the honey drizzle over top is intoxicating.
My ideal setting for these lemon poppy seed muffins is a slow saturday afternoon, maybe lightly raining outside, candle lit inside, tea kettle on the stove, green tea in my cup, and the muffins puffing up in the oven.
How perfect does that sound…
Apart from my own personal picturesque, somewhat unrealistic setting I have in my mind for making and eating these muffins…I think they will be perfect to serve for a spring brunch or even a cute afternoon tea party with friends.
If you can tell, these muffins are clearly too special to not dream up some sort of perfect scenario for them (very similar to these chocolate chip blueberry muffins)! They also work just as well as a regular old breakfast…running out the door with a muffin in one hand and coffee in the other.
Any way or time you eat them, I hope you love them as much as I do. My only real *requirement* is that they are eaten warm, as fresh as possible, and slathered with salted butter! Enjoy!Print
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lavender Honey
delicate, subtle lemon poppy seed muffins with softened butter and lavender honey
yield: 12 muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 stick (¼ lb) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- softened, salted butter (to serve)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp dried lavender
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with parchment liners.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Cream together until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the egg mixture in 3 batches, mixing on medium speed until each batch is really well-incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and poppy seeds.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, evenly distributing it. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, or until set and golden.
- Serve warm with a smear of salted butter and a generous drizzle of the lavender honey.
- Combine the honey, water, and dried lavender in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, allowing the honey to dissolve.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the honey sit to infuse for 10 more minutes.
- Strain out the lavender before using.