The very best, simplest, most satisfying summer appetizer – whipped feta with roasted tomatoes. Full of garlic and fresh garden herbs. This is summer in a bowl.
Just like this simple cherry tomato pasta, cooking with minimal ingredients and letting seasonal produce shine is what this time of year is all about! It’s the time where less is more, and simplicity is key.
Tomatoes are finally popping up at the farmers markets, so I’m using them again here in this really lovely little appetizer dish. There’s three components – whipped feta, slowly roasted tomatoes, and grilled bread. Everything comes together easily, with lots of fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil lending bright, bold flavor.
While the tomatoes roast in the oven, feta cheese gets quickly “whipped” in a food processor until smooth and creamy. You’ll then take some thick, crusty bread and grill it until slightly charred and crisp. By the time the tomatoes are done cooking, you’ll be ready to throw everything together and dig in.
Spread each slice of bread with a smear of whipped feta, and then spoon the sweet, juicy tomatoes right over top. And a little flaky sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper are key with a dish this simple.
This is truly as good as it gets in the summertime!Print
Whipped Feta with Roasted Tomatoes
whipped feta with roasted cherry tomatoes and grilled bread
- 1 ½ lbs cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- 12 oz crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 loaf crusty bread, sliced ½”
- thyme + oregano leaves, to garnish
- flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F°. Add the cherry tomatoes, sliced garlic, and fresh herbs to a large cast-iron skillet. Cover with the olive oil, season with a pinch of salt, and toss to combine. Roast for 35-40 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and caramelized.
- Preheat the grill over high heat. Coat each slice of bread with a good amount of olive oil on both sides. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the feta, olive oil, and water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Grill the bread until slightly charred and crisp, just a minute or so per side. Transfer the bread to a cutting board and cut each piece in half.
- Spoon the feta cheese into a bowl. Add the roasted tomatoes over top, along with a generous drizzle of the oil from the skillet. Top the tomatoes with a few thyme and oregano leaves, flaky sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve the bread alongside.