Crispy pan-seared halibut with salsa verde & juicy grapefruit. A dish to savor the beautiful winter citrus! It’s a simple, quick recipe with exciting flavor. Serve it with a side of roasted vegetables for a really balanced and refreshing winter dinner.
It’s the time of year when citrus is at it’s best. It’s sweet, juicy, and there are all sorts of unique varieties out like meyer lemons and blood oranges. I love using citrus in simple salads or even soft breakfast muffins.
Today, we’ve got halibut on the menu! Brightened up with a simple salsa verde made of parsley, chives, jalapeno, grapefruit juice, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. The golden, pan-seared halibut gets topped with the bright green sauce and some juicy grapefruit alongside.
Such a lovely dish that’s bursting with fresh flavor. I’d serve it with these roasted carrots.Print
Halibut with Salsa Verde & Grapefruit
crispy pan-seared halibut topped with a bright salsa verde & juicy grapefruit
- 4 skinless halibut filets
- 2 cups packed parsley leaves (approximately 1 ½ ounces), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- 1 large grapefruit
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- neutral-flavored oil
- Pat the halibut filets dry and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the parsley, chives, and jalapeno in a mixing bowl. Peel and segment the grapefruit, adding 2 tablespoons of the juice to the herbs and reserving the segments separately. Stir the red wine vinegar and olive oil into the herb mixture. Season with a pinch of salt to taste and set aside.
- Season the halibut well with a pinch of salt on all sides. Heat a 12” stainless-steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to the skillet to coat the bottom. When the oil is hot, very carefully place the halibut filets into the skillet, top side down.
- Lower the heat to medium and let the halibut sear for about 5 minutes until golden and crisp. Use a metal spatula to flip the halibut (be careful as the oil will splatter). Continue to sear on the other side for just a couple of minutes until the flesh is opaque and cooked through.
- Transfer the halibut to paper towels to drain off the oil. Serve the halibut with the grapefruit and spoonfuls of the salsa verde over top.