Sharing the most indulgent, yet healthy gluten free dark chocolate waffles drizzled with warm honey. These are a chocolate lover’s dream and still fit perfectly into a “feel good” January.
This recipe is made in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill.
With January almost coming to a close, I’m trying more than ever to stick to my goal of making this the healthiest and most vibrant month ever, full of recipes that make us feel our best. And that absolutely involves a very decadent breakfast of dark chocolate waffles.
These beauties are made with gluten free flour, honey, greek yogurt, and coconut oil…all nourishing ingredients to keep these waffles nice and healthy. But to be honest, when developing this recipe, my main goal in mind was to create an absolutely delicious waffle. And all of those ingredients add lovely flavor + texture.
And the dark chocolate folded into the batter? Well this adds a luscious, melted chocolate bite to every waffle that you will LOVE.
My go-to gluten free flour is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. I don’t do all that much gluten free baking, so when I do, I want it to be as easy as possible to achieve the same result as using all-purpose flour. This flour is a direct replacement, so it’s extremely easy to substitute into any recipe.
And the results?
The quality of Bob’s products always leads to wonderful baking results in my kitchen, and well, these waffles speak for themselves…
I’m topping the gluten free dark chocolate waffles with a little melted honey. When heated slightly (and you can just do this for a few seconds in the microwave or quickly over the stovetop), the honey loosens up and becomes the perfect consistency for drizzling.
I love the dark chocolate + honey combination. And a little bit of butter on top doesn’t hurt either (if you’d like). Definitely add these to this weekend’s agenda and close out January in the best way possible!Print
Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Waffles
decadent, yet healthy gluten free dark chocolate waffles made with nourishing ingredients and topped with melted honey
yield: 10 waffles
- 1 cup (148g) Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- ¼ cup (20g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup (85g) honey
- ¼ cup (60g) greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (55g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- neutral oil (safflower, canola, etc.) – for cooking
- ½ cup honey, heated – for drizzling
- butter – if desired
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Heat a waffle iron to medium heat (or setting 4). Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk well and set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks, honey, and greek yogurt in another mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate. Whisk in the coconut oil. Add the milk and vanilla extract. Stir until combined. Pour ¾ of the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Whisk until all of the clumps are gone. Stir in the remaining wet mixture.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the egg whites into the batter. Once incorporated, fold in the remaining half. Lastly, fold in the dark chocolate.
- Brush a little oil onto each side of the waffle iron. Distribute a ladle of waffle batter to fill each square. Close the waffle iron and cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until cooked through and fluffy.
- Transfer the waffles to a sheet pan and hold them in the oven while you cook the rest of the batter (the waffles will also crisp up slightly in the oven).
- Serve the waffles with a generous drizzle of heated honey and a pat of butter, if desired.