An herby egg salad for when you want to switch up your regular “eggs & toast” routine. Hard-boiled eggs tossed in a tangy dijon & caper vinaigrette with shallots and lots of herbs. Mounded on top of grilled or toasted bread. It’s really flavorful and bursting with fresh herby flavor…the perfect toast for a weekend morning or even a breakfast for dinner kind of weeknight.
This herby egg salad came together one day when I was testing many sweet recipes in the kitchen and needed a quick savory lunch. I wanted something simple, yet really flavorful. Eggs are always my go-to (honestly at any time of the day), and I love finding new ways to eat them. Typically, I’ll do them scrambled or fried, but every now and then I love making a big batch of hard-boiled eggs for something different. And some sort of egg salad over grilled bread sounded too good.
We grew up eating classic egg salad sandwiches…the creamy kind with lots of mayo and scallions. But with the hope of something lighter, I mixed together a little vinaigrette with dijon, white wine vinegar, and capers for lots of bright, acidic flavor. I added some very thinly sliced shallots and then threw in whatever herbs I had on hand – tarragon, chives, and garden basil – along with the eggs. Spooned it all onto smoky grilled bread and it truly was the most lovely little meal.
Too good not to share. It’s bright and flavorful, and completely satisfying. This would even be a great recipe to make in a larger batch and serve your family or a few friends for brunch.
Looking for other egg recipes? Here are a few of my favorites…Print
Herby Egg Salad On Toast
a simple egg salad tossed in a dijon & caper vinaigrette with shallots and lots of herbs, served over toasted or grilled bread
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs tarragon, leaves picked
- 2 tsp minced chives
- 2 large (½”) slices crusty bread, grilled or toasted
- 4 basil leaves, torn
- flaky sea salt (optional)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Gently drop the eggs into the pot. Boil for 10 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and allow to fully cool. Crack and peel the eggs. Slice them into quarters.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Stir in the capers. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Add the eggs, shallots, tarragon leaves, and chives to the bowl. Toss gently until combined. Mound the egg salad onto the grilled or toasted bread. Garnish with the basil, a pinch of flaky sea salt, and more freshly cracked black pepper.